Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is freezy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walrus5241

Walrus5241

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

On a semi-frequent basis--not constant, but consistent enough to be a bother--my computer freezes up, and I can move only my mouse. This lasts about 5-10 seconds, and then everything returns to normal. It doesn't matter whether I'm browsing the internet, watching a video, or playing a game, this happens, and there appears to be nothing I can do about it. My computer never used to do this, it's only begun within the last month or two. This is particularly annoying when it occurs during games...it's not limited to just the high-resource, more recent games either; it occurs during the extremely easy-to-run, low-maintenance 2000 game Deus Ex. But, I stress, it doesn't occur exclusively during games, and it is not ameliorated by changing any settings within the game itself. Furthermore, this never used to happen.

Things I have tried:
Updating my video drivers
Updating my sound drivers
Running Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware scans
Defragmenting
Doing a disk cleanup
Changing all relevant settings within games (it occurs outside of games though too, I have to stress this)
Checking processor temperature (it happens when the comp is cool as well as when it's hot; usually, it's in between 40 C and 60 C)

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

My computer is a custom-designed laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40 GHz
1.99 GB of RAM
Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see where you stated your computer was performing the way it was supposed to and then for no apparent reason, the computer tends to take a sudden time out and then resumes acting normal again.

There may be a program that is occasionally using a lot of resources that is doing some routine business.

This could include an anti-virus program, or a program that checks for updates by checking in with a web server.

If your computer is not suffering from any heat related issues, I would try downloading Auto Runs at this link and install it, start it and see what programs or processes are designed to run.

The other program is Process Explorer, this program will show you what processes are running at any given moment, anything that shows up with a dark red high-light is a program that is using a lot of processing power at any given moment.

Auto runs http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Good luck and hope this helps you diagnose what is happening during those momentary freeze ups.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 August 2010 - 12:50 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Walrus5241

Walrus5241
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

It appears I may have stemmed the problem. I freed up some space on my hard drive (have about 8-9 % free now) and reinstalled a few programs, the main one being Steam. I noticed that most of these problems occurred when Steam was open, and it appears they don't anymore. So, I'm guessing the problem's solved, but if I encounter anything else, I'll let you guys know. Should I do it here, or start a new thread?

In any case, thank you very much for your assistance. It's much appreciated, and I always respect and admire folks like you who offer their time and services to folks like me for free.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:14 AM

Unless your next post is about than entirely different problem or computer, you can post back to this thread.

Keep us posted and you're most welcomed for the help.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users