Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd-rw Burning Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jjoe

Jjoe

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this form and need some help with my cd-rw.I have replaced my old reader with a Sony CRX230EE cd-rw. I bought it on ebay as a (OEM) and sony will not support it. I understand it is a plug and play and doesn't need any drivers instaled. The only software I got with this is NTI CD Maker gold,version7.0.0.3907. I am running Windows ME on my computer. The CD drive will read fine and I can burn a music CD from my hardrive but I can't burn files from the computer or video from my camera in a formatt that i can open. Do I need a better burning software? When I installed the drive in the computer I set the jumper to cable select. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:40 PM

Hi and Welcome to BC. Hope you find what you need.
If you have two drive on your second IDE chain make one Master and one Slave. Unless your computer make requires it don't use cable select. If you have only one then put it on the second IDE chain and jumper it to Master.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

Hi and Welcome to BC. Hope you find what you need.
If you have two drive on your second IDE chain make one Master and one Slave. Unless your computer make requires it don't use cable select. If you have only one then put it on the second IDE chain and jumper it to Master.

Thanks for the reply. I only have one drive. I will try what you say here and let you know if it works.It might be a couple of days before I get to it. Thanks agin.

#4 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

I changed my jumper to master and I am able to burn files from the computer and jpeg from my digital camera. Still can't burn video but I don't think the camera is saving them in the right formatt. It needs to be mpeg and I think it's saving in mpg. What's the differance? Thanks much acklan for the help.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

The file extention can only be 3 letters. So JPEG file are .jpg GIFF files are .gif, so MPEG files are .mpg
I have not burned a video in quite a while but I think you need to research VCD and SuperVCD formats. This is the most common for CDs.

This is from the MicroSoft site..

Video CD (VCD)
A compact disc format that contains ISO MPEG-1 compressed full-motion video and associated high-quality audio.

Video CD
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:24 PM

Jjoe - can you just confirm that after you changed the jumper from Cable Select to Master you were able to burn (write) files from your PC and jpg images from your camera whereas previously you could not?

If that's the case it's very interesting, I've never come across that before. :thumbsup:

Another question - the cable your CDRW is connected to - are all 3 connectors the same colour or different colours?

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:35 PM

Jjoe - can you just confirm that after you changed the jumper from Cable Select to Master you were able to burn (write) files from your PC and jpg images from your camera whereas previously you could not?

If that's the case it's very interesting, I've never come across that before. :thumbsup:

Another question - the cable your CDRW is connected to - are all 3 connectors the same colour or different colours?

:flowers:

Yes I backed up some program files today after I made the change and they look like they will work but I have'nt installed any yet. As for the jpg files I think I tried burning them before but i'm not for sure because I am more intersted in the mpeg files for video. This is my first burner and a new camera. :wacko:I think the connectors are all black. I'm using the one farthest from the motherboard connector

Edited by Jjoe, 04 November 2005 - 11:44 PM.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:09 AM

If your connectors are all black then you have a 40 wire IDE cable which is not suitable for Cable Select. I don't know why your CD drive worked at all but at least it makes sense that it works better when set to Master.

What are you aiming at when you say you want to burn mpeg files for video? Are you trying to end up with a CD you can playback in a DVD player or just to view in another computer?

Does your camera tell you what mpeg fromat it saves in? You may need more sophisticated software to change the format and create an image to burn a VCD.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 November 2005 - 12:31 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:04 AM

I want to save them to look at on this computer or any other one to. I bought this HP R707 camera mainly for still shots but it has video ablity also an the wife and grandaughter always use the video. We like the camera but now that it's done and over I wish I had bought a video camera. I was reading though the user's manual and the video is saved in mpeg 1 format and in the HP software it says it's saved in mpg. In windows media player it says video clip. I think I better get better burning software.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Ok the camera creates mpeg-1 files. That should be fine for making VCD if you wanted to, but if you just want to view the video on a computer what's stopping you just burning the mpg file as data to a CD? Then you can play back the video by opening the file with your media player (Irfanview, WMP, etc.)

Do you get an error message if you try to save the mpg file? (How big is the file?) :thumbsup:

#11 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:48 AM

Ok the camera creates mpeg-1 files. That should be fine for making VCD if you wanted to, but if you just want to view the video on a computer what's stopping you just burning the mpg file as data to a CD? Then you can play back the video by opening the file with your media player (Irfanview, WMP, etc.)

Do you get an error message if you try to save the mpg file? (How big is the file?) :thumbsup:

Boy do I feel dumb :flowers: They burn just fine in data. I was using video on the software. This gives me what I want. Thanks for the help. Great site and I'll probably be back with some more dumb questions later.LOL :trumpet:

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

That's good news! Glad you've achieved what you wanted. :thumbsup:

Those were not dumb questions, making VCD or other video discs is a whole area of expertese which I know hardly anything about. Decidedly non trivial, imho, as you will find out if you read any "How to burn your video cassettes onto CD" websites. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users