Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up over my home network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

I do weekly backups with both of my systems to an external USB Hard Drive. I have had Windows 7 since the day it came out.

I want to backup like i used to be able to with Windows Xp, that is over my home network, so that both systems can back up at the same time, instead of doing one at a time. I would have the Hdd just plugged into my desktop and set it up from there for the backup settings with my laptop.

So does anyone know how to set up Windows 7 to be able to backup over my network? i cannot seem to figure out how.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hi :huh:.

Backup location possibilities...are determined by the software used for the backup.

Example: The native XP backup could not back up to external media, only to a hard drive on the system.

What software did you use to do these backups in XP?

Louis

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

I think its called Windows Backup Utility. It comes with the OS.

edit: I am using the Windows Backup and Retore.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 18 August 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hmm...I was in error, XP users could back up to network locations.

I was thinking of the bact that NTBackup cannot back up directly to removeable media.

Have you read up on the Win 7 backup tool?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...nd-restore.aspx

http://www.intowindows.com/using-windows-7...ge-backup-tool/

Louis

#5 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

Well i was not aware that the Windows Backup and Restore with network ability is only on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

If i were to choose to change to Professional/Ultimate, is that just like doing a complete reinstall of the OS? or can it be done with an in place backup? I do recall being told that the Prof and Ultimate versions are just like the Home, but with just more added features. Will the backup that was done with the Windows Home Premium version work with restoring it into the Prof/Ultimate versions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users