Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How powerful does a CPU need to be?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Since no one has addressed the multi-threaded thing let me explain a little more in depth for those who may not understand.:thumbsup:

Multi-threaded applications are capable of pergorming multiple tasks at the same time. With that being said not all applications can be multi-threaded. Think Microsoft word,excel, ect. Since they require user input for the next action to occur or for the current action to complete before you can move on they only have a single thread (meaning just one action at a time). Multi-threaded applications can perform multiple things at a time. Good examples of this are image/video editing applications, music editing/creation applications, and some games. These applications can be programmed to perform multiple actions at the same time. Think applying a filter to a picture where each pixel will be affectted each pixel can be manipulated individual of the others becoming it's own thread. Unfortunately x386 procccessors only can handle one thread at a time and each thread has to complete the proccessor pipeline which could be five or more steps depending on the proccessor. So the only way to speed up the porccess is higher clock speeds or multiple cores.

Hope that clears the air for those who might not have understood the concept of multi-threading
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 jaypeecee

jaypeecee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:04 AM

Hi Baltboy,

Many thanks for the explanation about multithreading. It's starting to become clearer now.

JPC

#18 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

Just a little input. If your older computer does what you want it to do with the programs you use but a little faster would make you happy. Well if possible more Ram would be my next step. If you need or want a new faster computer well it's all up to what you want it to do with what programs and how fast you want it to do it. A Intel 6 core would probably be much for the needs of most home users and small business but IMHO a 4 core would work great for a long time with matching hardware and operating system. With a new system I would choose a 64 bit system if the programs I expect to use will work with 64 bit. I would also suggest picking components that you can upgrade if needed or wanted, (more ram, better video card, ect.) I always install a quality power supply with way more power than needed at the time. It makes upgrading a lot easier. If you are a computer clocker or trendy you will never keep up with the new stuff that keeps coming at a very fast pace. It comes down to what you want; what you need compared to what you are willing to spend after a lot of research.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users