Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer, onboard graphics card missing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BadBeat

BadBeat

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:40 AM

Ahh, the question mark got you interested eh? Nothing gets people going like a good mystery.

Well, the topic says it all really. Absolutley everything about this computer is running horribly slowly. When I found out that streaming videos, such as youtube, or running flash programs brought the computer to it's knees, I figured it might be a problem with the graphics card. (though, opening my e-mail client takes about 10 minutes of waiting, so who knows)

So I set out to find out what onboard graphics card is in this computer. msinfo32 ran, and under components > display, there's nothing. Tried to run Speccy, and there's no graphics card listed under Graphics, just the moniter. Everest comes through though. Under GPU, SiS 315 Intergrated is listed. So off I set to find some drivers for it.

I found some drivers for SiS 315 Intergrated GPU's on SiS's site, and on some 3rd party sites, but all the ones I download, every time I try to install them, I get an error message saying, "The setup program cannot find suitable driver. The setup program will now terminate"

Have to say, I'm getting sick of the sight of this damn work computer.
Behind you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

Was this work computer provided to you by your employer? If so, please bring it to an IT professional within your company. If not, use the Avira Rescue System. What happens with it, is that you run the EXE that you download, it creates a bootable CD, that you, well, boot to, and you can run virus scans with it.

#3 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

We're only a small, local charity, with a standing staff of 3, and I'm the poor guy whose been tasked with getting this computer working properly, so no IT professionals in sight, I'm afraid. As for Virus Scans and the like, the computer is clean, as far as I'm aware. AVG 9 Free and Spybot come up clear. Things run (just), it just takes things an age to actually start up. And as said, anything even vaguely graphic intensive just judder along at 1fps
Behind you...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:49 AM

Error messages?

System manufacturer and model?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

When did this "slowness" surface?

Streaming videos...don't tax the video...they tax bandwidth and RAM (IMO), if you are watching online.

Louis

#5 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

No error messages as far as I'm aware.

As for the system make and model, I've just found out it was bought 2nd hand online, and no-one knows anything about it. The only distinguishing mark on it is a sticker on the front saying "Cyclone". According to Everest, the Computer type is "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"

Event Viewer? Nope, can't say that I have. Wouldn't know what to look for either.

As for this slowness, it's been like this ever since I've been here, and apparently, it's been like this ever since they bought it. No-one has bothered with it until me though, as no-one has used it at all until I started working here. It is affecting everything though. Hell, as I'm typing now, its taking up to 30 seconds for things that I type to actually appear on-screen (if I type at anything resembling speediness) during which time the computer refuses to do anything else.

The specs of the computer go, as far as I can see:

2.4g Celeron proerssor
1gb of Kingston DDR ram
MSI 651M-L (MS-7005) motherboard
SiS 315 intergrated graphics card

And when I said streaming video, I was probably being slightly misleading, the video would stream in fine, but actually trying to watch it once the video is loaded just, well, doesn't work.

Edited by BadBeat, 18 August 2010 - 08:44 AM.

Behind you...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

Do you have any disks that came with the system?

As for using Event Viewer...

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Info on Graphics.

Info on Motherboard.

Louis

#7 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

Sometimes I've found that a really slow running computer is caused by a faulty or defective program at computer startup.
I shut the startup programs down one at a time to see if one of them is causing it,and fix it. Or is there 2 Anti-virus running on the machine,maybe one not seen?
Have you tried runng a good virus scanner in Safe Mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users