Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp "frozen" Tried Everything Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ldmariposa

ldmariposa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:48 PM

Okay,
First of all, not my computer. Have to return it ASAP. I'm leaving my job which supplied said computer and need to return it.
It's a hp Pavillion zt 1130 notebook with windows XP (home edition, i think).
I was deleting a few personal files, and copying others to disk, trying to clean out 2 years worth of personal use when the computer froze.
Would not open any programs, mouse worked, but nothing would open.
Computer would not shut down, or restart from the "start" menu, so i took out the battery. I know, probably was not wise.
Anyway, when i tried to turn it back on it would not go past screen that is blue and has the windows xp logo.
I've restarted the computer many times, to no avail.
I Have pressed f8 at startup and tried to operate in safe mode, It will go into safe mode, but no further than this screen.
I've tried every option on the f8 menu, nothing will get me past the windows xp logo screen to even attempt to restore. It simply will not let me pass.
Of course, I have no windows disk, or any back up's of any kind. Like I said, i have to return this to my ex-employer, hopefully with all the programs (Photoshop, Irfanveiw, Cannon file veiwer, ect..) still in tact.
I am not terribly concerned with retreiving my files, but would like restore without losing everything if possible.
Many people seem to have a similar problem, but not quite as impossible as mine. Please help me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ldmariposa

ldmariposa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:07 PM

I think that right before the "freeze" that i disabled my Mcafee virus scan. i retrospect, not so smart. I was trying to get the computer back to it's original state. Is there anyway to install it again in the "blue screen"?
Could be the reason for the crash?

#3 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:54 PM

Without the Windows setup CDs your only option to retrieve the rest of your files is to get someone to remove the hard drive, put it in a desktop system and pull off your files to burn them on CD. After that your employer can run the restore CDs to put the laptop back to factory condition.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:32 PM

Try powering it on and off with a series of hard shutdowns and starts. It may give you a screen that says use last good configuration or something to that effect.

You have nothing to lose in trying it.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:46 AM

:thumbsup: to BC

Have a look at this link and see if that helps HP support page

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users