Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MICROSOFT WORD UPGRADE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

I recently purchased a computer that comes with a 60 day trial of MS Office. I do not need Office, what I need is Word. Is there a legal way of upgrading only Word? I was told that if I have Works that it can be upgraded to Word, is this correct?

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

Can't have Word without the rest of the Office Suite. Microsoft sells it all together because it wants people to only use their office productivity programs. You can always try OpenOffice if you don't want to throw down money for the entire Office Suite.
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#3 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the information. I just finished downloading OpenOffice and I have another question. On my new computer which came with a trial version of Office, when I try to open an old MS Word document I am prompted to sign up for the trial version. My question is, can I open an old MS Word document in OpenOffice? If this is possible, how would I go about doing this?

rlight

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

Just to correct some erroneous info:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/s/word?WT.mc...amp;tid=2241775

As for how Open Office works...what it can and cannot do...trying it will provide more useful info than anything anyone can say.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165532

Louis

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the information. I just finished downloading OpenOffice and I have another question. On my new computer which came with a trial version of Office, when I try to open an old MS Word document I am prompted to sign up for the trial version. My question is, can I open an old MS Word document in OpenOffice? If this is possible, how would I go about doing this?

rlight

Setting file type associations in XP
...and Vista
...and Win7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users