Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating and stuff

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AndyMan315

AndyMan315

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

OKAY! Here is my issue. I have a homemade desktop. I run an intel MOBO with an i5 processor quad-core with a GEForce 8800 GT GPU. using CoreTEMP my computer has always idled at about 47C and in-game usually not higher than 70-75 (Counter-Strike: Source, FYI I suppose) In the past few weeks is has been overheating and shutting down (I have it set to automatically do so at 95C) I assumed it was my graphics card finally dying, but then it wouldn't boot without a GPU (because of the processor and motherboard together there is no on borard graphics I guess...? Ask intel...) SO now, I have tried swapping out video cards to no avail, I still get hot especially when I run a task (opening any program actually makes my CPU Temp jump quite a bit some that makes ME think CPU but That's why I'm here, you guys are better at this :-p) SO I stil run hot especially when I boot and I idle at about 45 but as soon as I do something it goes super hot, andddddd for some reason Neither video card recognizes my Hanns-G 21.6" monitor anymore so all my picture is fuzzy (Says it's a Generic Non-PnP Monitor) So now I am running out of options, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

First thoughts are that the problem is overheating. Have you cleaned out the inside of the case, especially the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU. Did your CPU come with a thermal pad, or did you use a thermal paste?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

I suppose it would have helped to fill you in on all that. Yes it is very clean and dust free, all the components. It came with paste, I removed it to test my CPU in another computer and put new heat sink compound on after cleaning off the old stuff as soon as I got it home. All fans work and are clean. The problem first only occurred when I was in a full-screen game but then it started to occur outside of game.

Also I would like to say I swapped out graphics cards to a smaller, lower quality one and swapped my RAM slots to see if I got any errors there. I bought 2 fans (a 25 CM fan for above the graphics card and a PCI slot fan for below the graphics card) UNFORTUNATELY before I could install them it really got hot and shut down for what seemed like a last hoorah and hasn't been the same since

Edited by AndyMan315, 18 August 2010 - 08:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users