Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help with CPU Temps and CPU Fans

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ApInflux

ApInflux

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hi, i need help with my computers CPU or its FAN i think it is overheating or something.

My computer was not normally this loud or fast, before it was real quiet and slow, its started a couple of months ago and it has not stopped ever since.

I tried cleaning the pc of dust and changing the thermal paste to see if that was the problem but my fan is still running fast and loud. I downloaded a program called Speed Fan and this is the info it gave me.....

CPU Usage 17.2%

Fan1: 4800 RPM
Fan2: 2031 RPM
Fan3: 0 RPM
Fan4: 0 RPM
=======================
CPU: 89C
Ambient: 30C
Remote: 0C
HD0: 23C
=======================
Speed01: 100%
Speed02: 100%
Speed03: 100%
=======================
+5V: 5.00V
Vcpu: 2.21V
Vcc: 3.32V
+12V: 11.86V
+3.3V: 3.38V
Vbat: 0.00V

I don't know what to do can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

Are you doing anything CPU intensive on the machine? Have you checked for malware and other programs that run in the back ground to be sure a certain program isnt hogging resources? And 89C is a little high. What are your system specs?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

I am not doing any CPU intensive stuff been running the same programs before this problem started. As for malware my anti virus has not shown any threats as of now.

My system specs are.....

System: Microsoft Windows Xp Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Computer: Intel Pentium® 4
CPU 2.93GHz
2.93 GHz, 504MB of RAM

Motherboard:ASUSTek Computer INC.

Model: Goldfish2
BIOS:American Megatrends Inc.
Version 3.28

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

Do you have the stock heat sync on it? Being you have a pentium 4 those I think normally run hot. But wait and see if another members has something to say before taking my word on that. At this point I am unable to assist you further as this is an issue that I have never seen.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

Yes i have a stock heat sync on it, i was told they ran hot but the fan was never this loud. ok thank you anyways for your help

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

Have you clean the heat sink and the fan thoroughly?

Is the fan running up to its proper RPM?

Have you checked to make sure that the air vents of the case for incoming air are clean?

Have you tried running the computer with the case open to see if the temperature is lower?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

Yes I have clean the heat sink and the fan.

How can i know if its running proper RPM?

Yes i checked the air vents they are clean.

Yes i tried running the pc with the case open and it drops to around 84C and Fluctuates

#8 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:05 PM

Is your heat sink assembly attached tightly and securely?

Since you already cleaned out the dust and regreased the processor, it might be time to just give replacing the fan a shot, or buying a nicer, quieter but just as powerful or more powerful fan...

#9 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Yes my heat sink is assembled and attached tightly

What kind of fan would you recommend me to get for the computer i have right now.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

Just to add my two cents in here....Okay I'm not cheap, make it $3.00 instead! :flowers:

Your situation might just be that the bushing on the cooling fan is waring in and thus your noticing it spinning more then you are used to.

It happens with things that are in continued motion, such as cooling fans, they get nosier as they get older.

If you replaced the cooling fan, chances are when the new one is in place, you'd be worried if it was spinning, because it'd be just too quite. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 August 2010 - 08:07 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

I appreciate your help Bruce, my computer now wont stay turned on. once its on it loads then turns off would replacing the fan fix this problem im having now?

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

Okay I back-tracked through this thread to read everything that was tried so far.

I seen where you said you checked the PC for dust problems and that you re-checked that the heat sink was firmly seated on the processor core.

I want to ask you when you added thermal compound to the core, how much paste did you apply to the core?

I want to say this so it is not over looked about how too much paste is NOT good either.

When applying thermal paste, the object is to apply a very thin layer of grease, the purpose of the grease is to close up any gaps that may be caused by heat sinks that are out of square, applying too much grease can cause a barrier to build up that actually causes the heat sink to be out of touch with the core.

So adding too much can be just as bad as not having any at all.

A lot of heat sinks are sold as kits with a processor, both come together in a boxed set.

The heat sinks in these cases are usually not the best, but they do work to some degree, there are always better heat sinks out there that have better machined surfaces and are larger in size, but of course they cost more money.

I would recheck that heat sink you have now.

Make sure nothing became loose when you were working inside the computer, it happens to the best of us, where something becomes loose, my GeForce AGP card did that to me one time when I was working on something else on my motherboard, The BIOS went nuts when I booted up my computer, NO VIDEO, any ways, it is always best to recheck the obvious and the not so obvious possibilities.

By the way, trouble shooting computer's is a favorite hobby of mine.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 01:39 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Ok i will look into that. Well about the paste, i was told when adding paste is to use a thin layer and cover the entire chip so i did. Was this a mistake?

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:44 AM

Ok i will look into that. Well about the paste, i was told when adding paste is to use a thin layer and cover the entire chip so i did. Was this a mistake?

As long as you did not allow it to come in contact with the circuit board surrounding the core head, you should be fine.

And you are right, only add a thin layer, just enough to lightly cover the core head of the processor.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 01:45 AM.

#15 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Ok, in heat related do you know what can cause my computer not to stay turned on? It use to stay turned on even for a couple of min, now it just wont stay turned on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users