Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would upgrading my RAM speed up my system?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rewster

Rewster

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Well, my personal computer in my room is lacking in ram, (only around 800MB) and it tends to be very slow when playing online games. (High ping, games take forever to load, etc...) But, I wouldn't be upgrading it until it is fixed, of course. So, It could take a couple weeks.

I have been thinking of upgrading the ram, to see if that would speed up the computer considerably. But, I want to see if anybody would recommend this. Our other computer in the house has 4 gb of ram, and it loads games instantly. Though I'm not really allowed on this one too often. I'm only using it until I can get my personal computer fixed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OPI

OPI

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

If you upgrade to 2/3GB's of RAM you will notice a huge difference when playing online games. But if your computer is an oldie, you might as well upgrade your GPU.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hi,

What are your system specs?
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

One consideration is the age of the computer, the older the machine, the more expensive parts are. The truism in this situation is that the easiest way to increase the speed is to add more RAM. But with older machines with RAM like PC3200 it can be fairly expensive and you need to ask yourself is this a worth while investment on a machine that could die any day now. Obviously I'm guessing at the RAM that you are using. Two modules combined of 512MB and 256MB adds up to 768MB. This combination was common back with PC2700 and PC3200, so I'm guessing that this computer is of this vintage. Could be wrong... :thumbsup:

The point is that if this computer is this old it may be to your advantage to save up and rebuild it with current parts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

I'm not sure of all of the specs, as I can't use the computer right now.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit
AMD Phenom 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4400+
~800MB of RAM
~300gb of space in the Hard Drive

The computer is only 3 or 4 years old.

If I do upgrade my computer, I will have a $200 - $300 budget as of right now.

Edited by Rewster, 17 August 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

If the PC is running on Vista, then it is newer than I thought. That's good, that means that RAM will be much less expensive.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

EMACHINES T5230

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Your computer has two RAM slots with a maximum amount of 1GB of either PC-5300 OR 1GB of PC-6400 per slot.

Crucial has 1GB modules for $23.99 each. Since you computer supports dual channel I would suggest purchasing two exact modules from the same manufacturer. Crucial has a solid reputation for producing excellent RAM.

#9 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

What is the difference between the PC-5300 and the PC-6400?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

The higher the PC number, the faster the module.

#11 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

Alright, I will order two of the PC-6400.

Would it also be a good idea to add another hard drive? Walmart has 500gb and 1T hard drives that aren't too expensive.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

If the specs I'm looking at are correct you have 250GB hdd. I don't know how much free space you have, and that would determine whether you need another hdd. You can check this by going to Disk Management. Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk Management. This will show all partitions, their capacities, and their free space.

Another hdd isn't going to make a difference in the speed of the computer, adding RAM will though, a difference you will notice immediately.

#13 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:53 AM

I have around 130gb of free space.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Then you're good to go.

#15 beachbuoy

beachbuoy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

On this same topic.....my son has a very slow laptop which is about three years old running XP. According to the microsoft website I can buy an external memroy stick instead of opening up the computer to add memory. is this right and do I need a special stick?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users