Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting with usb-devices > Freeze at "Starting Windows"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OPI

OPI

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hi guys,

I heard you're very good at solving problems, that's why I'm posting my question here.

It's 'bout the following. About one week ago I bought a brand new computer:

- AMD II X4 Phenom 955
- ASUS EAH5850 TOP
- 4GB RAM
- Corsair TX750W
- Sapphire Pure CFX (for future GPU upgrades)

It didn't came with Windows 7 so I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64b myself. Unfortunately, that didn't go very well. The only way I got through the installation was like this:

- Unplug all usb devices (keyboard, mouse, wireless adapter)
- Insert Windows installation disk
- Go past the "Starting Windows" screen
- Plug in all usb devices again
- Continue with the installation

That's how I installed Windows. Well, the problem what I'm experiencing after the installation is almost the same problem as the one at the installation: I can't boot with usb-devies plugged in.

Let me explain:

- Turn on power
- Motherboard screen
- "Starting Windows"
---- This is where the boot stops when I've got my usb-devices plugged in. ----
- "Starting Windows" + Fading Windows logo
- User login
- Done

You get the point, right? I've really thought about this problem but nothing seems to help.

I hope you guys have the solution for me...

Kind Regards,

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

I believe this is commons with Windows, from XP on.

As I see it...the problem occurs when Windows is detecting hardware. Any extraneous USB devices (hard drives without ON switch, flash drives, etc.) which have power...are "recognized" and are unaccounted for...so Windows just sits there, until the devices are removed or turned off and Windows can properly finish loading.

The simple fix is to remove or turn off such devices when booting...power them after Windows is loaded.

I don't think this happens on all systems...I know that it has happened on XP on mine and I took my cues from it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users