Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeyandran

Jeyandran

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

My windows won't check for updates and i have been having this problem ever since i reinstalled my windows vista. I have provided a picture for reference. And yes , i do have a genuine version of windows. It says i have never updated it.

Picture #1 : Where is says i can't check for updates
Picture #2: The error

Attached Files

Edited by Jeyandran, 17 August 2010 - 07:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

This looks like it covers it, http://www.winvistatips.com/error-code-80073712-a-t13.html.

Louis

#3 Jeyandran

Jeyandran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

Is there a program, that i can install and that will fix the corrupted files online or something? i can't find the vista instalation CD ;S

#4 Jeyandran

Jeyandran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

anyone?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

If you have Windows Vista SP2 already installed, re-installing it may resolve your problem.

If you have SP1 installed then install sp2.

I can not provide you with a free version of the Windows Vista OS, but the SP2 should still install and hopefully fix any issues you have.

Here is the link to Windows Vista SP2 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...vice-Pack-2-SP2

There is a link here to manually install SP2, I can not point you to the download because I do not know if you have 32 Bit or 64 Bit installed, so it is best you locate the link to your OS bit version.

Download and install SP2, even if you already have SP2 installed, this may fix your corruption.

Other-wise you'll have to get a Windows Vista installation disk to do a repair.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 August 2010 - 10:34 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Jeyandran

Jeyandran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

soo if i do a repair , that means i wont lose all my data ?

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

soo if i do a repair , that means i wont lose all my data ?

Not if you re-install sp2, its only an update, it won't delete anything, it will only re-write all the corrupted files Windows requires to run.

And Sp2 is a free download.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

As for a repair using a Windows Vista disk, unless you choose the repair option that does not create a new windows folder, you won't lose any data, sometimes re-installing Windows over Windows fixes a lot of corrupt files, but you'd have to choose any option other than the one that creates a new Windows folder. Other-wise it renames your Windows folder Windows.old and creates a new Windows folder.

Hope this answers your question about using the Windows Vista disk as a repair option.

If you have access to a valid Windows Vista disk, be advised, you'll have to use the product key at some point, if the disk was already installed on another computer, the product key will come up as already activated and this will set off a red flag of software piracy from Microsoft. So be careful if you try using a disk from someone else and what attempts you try with it.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#9 Jeyandran

Jeyandran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

ok and about that, i have re installed vista once and i chose to save the old vista file in local disk right. now evertime i open up vista i have an option of starting with the new one and the old one. Info on my other post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/340763/windows-vista/

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Your other post shows an image with current OS/;default OS is on drive I: where as the other is on drive C:

Why is your current OS on I:? is this a hidden installation partition or something?

I would take it you have memory card readers on this computer as well, for it to show that many drive letters down the alphabet.

I wouldn't be too quick to delete anything until we're sure its safe to do so and why that OS is on drive I:

Bruce.

#11 Jeyandran

Jeyandran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

soo... what do you think i should do next?

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Let me ask you this, does both intsallations of Vista load?

Bruce.

#13 Jeyandran

Jeyandran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

yes they do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users