Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue Firewall Norton 2006 /still/ there.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmhartman

rmhartman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

My desktop seems to have a rogue firewall that periodically decides not to let web traffic through. Windows security center icon on the control panel says that it is Norton 2006 ... following the "remove norton" guides elsewhere on this site I have renamed all the norton/symantec folders I can find in Program Files and Common Files, and remove all the associated keys in the registry, so it shouldn't be loading but it still does. Does anybody know where else it hides? Or even what the MS Security Center checks to determine what firewall is running (i.e. where is it getting the information that the firewall is Norton2006?)

Edited by boopme, 17 August 2010 - 11:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

I've found that after trying to remove a firewall there can be hard to find traces of it left behind,and then some new firewalls won't install because they say the old firewall is still there...
Have you gone to Norton's website and looked for a "Removal Tool" for that firewall? Try that.
Go to Windows Search and look for any files or folders for it and delete them. Go to My computer/C files and look for any.
Finally go to regedit again and search for any remaining files you can find,sometimes an incorrect name seach won't show all the files,I would just type in "Norton" and see what you find.
Sometimes you'll find files that "Cannot be removed" in regedit,if these are "Legacy" files they CAN be easily removed,right click on the file,click on permissiions,then check the box "Full Control"(Something like that you'll see).Then go back and remove the file.
Also download Revo uninstaller,it will do much more thorough uninstall when you want to remove programs in the future.
When you're all done run CCleaner to remove any useless remaining crap. :thumbsup:

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

you know that it's ridiculous for these companies to be leaving stuff behind. I think it's their superiority complex.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Most programs will leave files and registry entries in your computer after they are removed. All Windows ADD/Remove Programs does is remove the program,and leaves everything else behind still in your computer.
Revo Uninstaller has 4 levels of uninstalling,it gets most everything.
My friend wanted me to remove Windows Live(Messenger,I.D.,Essentials,etc.,etc.) from their computer. With Windows Add/Remove Programs we got the message "Cannot be Removed". Bullcrap!
I installed Revo and removed it all,and there was TONS of leftover files! I had to use all methods to remove remaining files and it took some time. I'm not fond of Windows programs like those because if you want to install ONE,they try to group the download with a whole bunch of other programs you don't want,and in some cases I've found it difficult to install only the one I want. Then they "Can't" be uninstalled.
I find this practice rather sleazy... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users