Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Windows Update Run When Logged Off?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

I am pretty sure the default time for Windows Update to run is 3am, if you are logged off will it still run? Or do you have to actually be logged in? Is it the same on all Windows OSs?
Devon Schreiner
Tech Blog - TheTechBlender.com
Personal Website - DevonSchreiner.com
Twitter - @DevonSchreiner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hi,, interesting question that I havent thought about but I do have an answer:

No. Windows Update works in the background to seamlessly download and install updates if you have it set to install updates automatically. This means that whether or not you're logged in as an administrator, updates will still install on schedule. You do, however, need to be logged in as an administrator to interactively install updates from the Windows Update control panel.

Reference: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads...update/faq.mspx

See Also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525 (for XP but still applies as stated above).

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the reply, but that looks to me like it is just talking about being logged in as an administrator. I want to know if you need to be logged in period. Will it still update if my computer is sitting at the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen waiting to be logged on?
Devon Schreiner

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

:huh: sorry about that i must have read that wrong. Give me a few minuets and I will make sure that I return the correct and pertinent information. Again sorry about that error.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hey no problem, I appreciate the efforts. Any help is appreciated.
Devon Schreiner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users