Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird trouble with display

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 apriljapan

apriljapan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

My monitor and display used to be perfect until Windows suggested I download new display drivers for NVIDIA. I did this (it also automatically installed NVIEW and NWIZ and such), and now I'm having very irritating problems.

After installation and reboot, 1680x1050 is no longer a display option. The screen resolution dial (under the control panel's display options) now only goes up to 1600x1024.

I uninstalled all the NVIDIA display drivers under "add/remove programs" and rebooted, and was able to reset the settings back to 1680x1050. Everything seemed fine again. But when I turned on the computer the next day, my monitor was black and flashing a message that it's "out of range." So had to reboot in VGA mode to see anything, where 1680x1050 was an option (but was now at the top of the list), and when I selected it, the monitor went black and said "out of range" again.

So it was back to VGA mode where I went ahead and reinstalled the display drivers again to at least have a working computer. I am now back at square one, stuck with 1600x1024. What combination of things am I doing wrong here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

What is the specs of the machine including video card specs? :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

Generally speaking...Windows/Microsoft Update...is great for updating the system for critical security updates.

Probably considered not-so-great when it comes to component/function drivers for the system.

I suggest uninstalling the drivers currently in (using Device Manager)...then installing either the drivers you were using or go to the website of your system/motherboard and manually download the latest video drivers.

Louis

#4 apriljapan

apriljapan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

The machine is an HP media center (m390n).... the video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600.

Hamluis, so under Device Manager I should directly uninstall the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 display adaptor? I was afraid of doing this at first because I thought it would make the entire display go out :thumbsup:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

When you uninstall them windows will reinstall the generic drivers then it is up to you to install the correct driver to get the correct resolution back. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 apriljapan

apriljapan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Thanks folks, this seems to have done the trick. I found an apparently much more recent update available at the NVIDIA website. Now my fingers are crossed that it will continue to function after my next reboot :thumbsup:

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Cool.. :thumbsup: Glad me and hamluis were able to help you. :huh:
sigcomp.png 

#8 apriljapan

apriljapan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well, it appears my problems aren't solved yet :thumbsup:

Somehow my computer is just not remembering my previous display settings every time I restart.

Upon today's reboot, my display has changed again. The latest NVIDIA software is still installed, but today the display is weirdly stretched horizonally as well as overall too large to fit into my widescreen. It extends beyond the frame and I have to move my mouse to the corners to move the view.

I tried looking for new drivers for my monitor but Windows claims not to find any. I've been looking at the new NVIDIA control panel but can't seem to find a fix. My control panel display still claims to be 1680x1050. Any ideas?

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

What is your display specs? Is there a button that will allow you to auto re-size the screen on the monitor? :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users