Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop running slow - very hot and powering down

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Bruce,

none of those video's are for the zd8000 and the one that is close is not a 17" screen

I looked at one of the videos and the screw holes are different and in different spots

mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

So those wouldn't be of any use to you then?

I will try to locate one that's a bit closer to your model, if you prefer.

I can't promise anything though, but I'll try. :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#18 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

Give this one below a try it's a service manual for the zd8000 in pdf format, you can save this to your desktop.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01383095.pdf

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#19 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

hey Bruce

i recd the pdf and it looks like a pretty daunting task - I won't have time to do it today (atleast not till later)

Is this really necessary - i am really concerned that i am going to be touching Ram/ the hardrive with all my data on it
amongst other very important stuff. i took electronics when i was a kid and i know that static electricity was a concern then
and it appears from the warning it is with this unit as well. i called the 800# for HP and i asked them a few questions
regarding what you had mentioned and they said that what you are talking about regarding the heat sync is not
available for this unit and they cautioned me about screwing around with the CPU. They said the CPU may have a lot of dust
lodged in the heat sync and that may be the cause - but they wouldn't go much beyond that without a professional tech
dealing with it as this unit is well past its useful life as far as they are concerned and parts have not been available for years in most cases. She said "I would not be advised to do anything more than a cleaning - otherwise it would be at my peril and because the unit is so old and if it failed it would then be a purchase of hundreds of dollars and not just a few hours on a techs bench". So, I guess you can tell I am a little GUN SHY.......LOL

tks,

Mike

#20 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Bruce,

Been away for over a week - had to leave suddenly - family related....

I am back and haven't had a chance to rip it open and take a look inside - will try again - SATURDAY MORNING

I will say this - I tried to use the computer today and had to shut it down as I am now getting the
following message every second or third refresh on a website and I have rebooted the modem/router and computer twice...

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

THE COMPUTER IS STILL RUNNING VERY HOT AND sounds like a jet plane taking off.......

I still think it is software related.......

regards,

Mike

#21 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Subject : Laptop Died - CPU & Power Supply is fried......

Just brought laptop to ProData and I described issue as laptop died on Wed night

Will not boot up - basically; a boat anchor now......

They figure that something was running that burned out the CPU and power supply

They said I should have brought it in right away to a shop when I explained that
it was running like a jet aircraft and that the lights were flashing

They believe it was caused by a software/virus issue

A Very Expensive Lesson Now..........

Mike

#22 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

I am most sad to hear this. :thumbsup:

I wish there was something I could have suggested that could have saved your laptop.

I wish you luck with finding another laptop and hope you have continued success with the unfortunate lesson you have learned.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users