Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop running slow - very hot and powering down

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 calgaryman

calgaryman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

Hi I have an existing topic here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339774/combofix-is-hanging-24hours/ - and although I still feel I have a software/OS issue; I was asked to post
over here and see if we can work both sides of the problem.

1. see my first few posts to get a better idea of the problem in my original topic
2. since fixing the malware problem we have found that there may be other software/os issues
3. the laptop is running very hard as though it is working on something (stuck in a loop?) (lights going constantly).
4. laptop is very hot (I would describe it as being on fire)
5. laptop has powered down 11 times in the last 24 hours
6. both internal programs and internet access has slowed again since fixing the malware issue
7. as an example - I can see my typing prompt slowly type a word after it was typed (huge delay-slow motion)
8. there are reminents of the original issue still on my laptop "AntiMalware Doctor"

PS..... note that ComboFix "hung" on my machine for 48 hours and the program is still resident on my computer (should I delete it?)

thanks - hope this helps

Mike
here are the hardware specs
HP Pavilion ZD8000
Pentium« 4 @ 3.6GHz
Ram 2GB (think there is more on my machine though)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

I read your previous post and seen where elise025 asked you to run combofix, but did not instruct you to post here as of yet.

This will add to the confusion of your machine being cleaned first, before we can offer you help here.

Please do not follow any advice here until you are told to do so.

Bruce.

EDIT: Actually I instructed that, please see my post before instructing Combofix Bruce, for now, lets keep this one on hold. :thumbsup:
Sorry for the confusion ~ Elise

Edit: Thanks Elise...Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 August 2010 - 04:19 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Hi Bruce - Elise has instructed me to touch base
with you and see if we can get this laptop working
properly.

if you can read through the posts on that topic
we can continue on.

My original "first post" is
still accurate as to my issue.

Mike
ps the laptop is currenly "off' and I am conversing with
you from my old laptop which is about 30 years old....... lol

thanks

mike

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Okay Mike, I just wanted to make sure that it was Okay to assist you, I did not want conflicting instructions to add to any confusion.

Let me back-track through your previous thread, so I can get caught up with your present status and we will go from there.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

As an aside,

The laptop was cleaned in the shop less then 2 years ago and they said it wasn't bad at all.

I keep my office very clean and dust free as I am a neat freak......

Also, the 3 fans underneath the computer are operating just fine

Mike

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Okay Mike, being that HP has several laptops using the model number ZD8000 I need you to pick yours from this list and post the link to your laptop in your next reply.

This will give us access to documents related to your laptop's model number, it also allows me to research possible known issues with your laptop (if any) and also allow me access to proper service manuals for laptop disassembly instructions if I feel those are needed.

I have read your previous malware related thread, and seen where over-heating was discussed as a possible suspect, I was thinking along those lines as well, so we may be doing some internal laptop inspection, at some point.

Edit: Oops, forgot to add link to HP site. http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...p;submit=Go+%BB

I will be awaiting for your next response. :thumbsup:

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#7 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Bruce the laptop was a "custom order"

It is a base HP Pavilion zd8000 CTO Notebook PC
that was upgraded - here is the laptop series #pf456avr
and on the original box it says Pavillion ROME 1.0 PAV

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

Okay, this is the laptop we are going to be working with and its support page. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...;submit=Go%20┬╗

Please allow me some time to research your current issue for solutions or fixes.

Kind regards as always. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Here is a very useful link from HP regarding using a can of compressed air to blow out your laptop. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...lc=en&cc=us

I would seriously give that a try, believe me when I say, laptops are very confined units, it does not take much dust in laptops to cause issues with inadequate cooling issues.

Even in the cleanest environments, dust is air-born and those cooling fans suck that dust in and it becomes stuck there in hard to reach places.

So I would suggest you try what is mentioned above, once this has been ruled out, we may have to gain deep access into the laptop to dislodge any dust that has made a permanent home inside your laptop.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#10 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hey Bruce,

Sorry about the delay in responding - I actually bought a 6 pack of those spray cans at Costco and have used them every month - to do exactly that; like I said I am a clean freak.

I just finished doing it and the computer has been back on for 15 minutes (it is still revvv'g and is getting hot
very quickly)

tks,

mike

#11 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

Computer just powered down again

mike

#12 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:22 AM

Just another bit of info on the hardware side....

when I did the major cleanup - less than 2 years ago

the tech put in all new ram and the largest hardrive possible 160 Gb

Edited by calgaryman, 20 August 2010 - 12:23 AM.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:28 AM

I would take it you have a cooling pad with 3 fans positioned under this laptop, am I correct?

However your situation is that even with this cooling pad, your laptop is still over heating and shutting down.

Now I have to question the situation with the heat sink on the processor, if that is the component that is getting hot.

I have to ask you what signs you are seeing besides the computer shutting down, that it is over heating?

Is this conclusion based on using a software program that monitors temperatures? Or is it based on the laptop being very warm or hot to the touch?

I am wondering if the heat sink is positioned properly on top of the processor, I am also wondering if there is a thermal pad placed on the bottom side of the heat sink. I do not find those to be very successful in transferring heat from the core to the heat sink, it is better to remove that pad and just use thermal grease that is intended to be used on processor heat sinks.

The next concern I have is if your heat sink is warped or machined out of square, is the surface square?
Is it properly locked down and making full contact with the core of the processor?

Hopefully, we can figure this out together. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

Edit: I accidently called the processor (a heat sink) corrected that error above now says processor. Sorry about the typo

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 August 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#14 calgaryman

calgaryman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

I will put my response in your text - in CAPITAL LETTERS

I would take it you have a cooling pad with 3 fans positioned under this laptop, am I correct?

YES - AND THE LAPTOP IS ELEVATED TO MAX COOLING - THE COOLING PAD BY ITSELF
CONCERNED ME AND THIS HAS DONE A MUCH BETTER JOB

However your situation is that even with this cooling pad, your laptop is still over heating and shutting down.
YES THAT IS CORRECT

Now I have to question the situation with the heat sink on the processor, if that is the component that is getting hot.
I KNOW WHERE THE PROCESSOR IS RELATIVE TO THE KEY BOARD AND THAT IS ALMOST AT A MELTING POINT
VERY VERY HOT

I have to ask you what signs you are seeing besides the computer shutting down, that it is over heating?
NO - IT JUST PACKS IT IN WHEN IT HAS HAD ENOUGH (DOING NO WORK ON THAT LAPTOP AT ALL - BUT SOMETHING
IS DEFINATELY WORKING IN THE BACKROUND)
Is this conclusion based on using a software program that monitors temperatures? Or is it based on the laptop being very warm or hot to the touch?
TOUCH ONLY

I am wondering if the heat sink is positioned properly on top of the heat sink, I am also wondering if there is a thermal pad placed on the bottom side of the heat sink. I do not find those to be very successful in transferring heat from the core to the heat sink, it is better to remove that pad and just use thermal grease that is intended to be used on processor heat sinks.

NO IDEA - I HAVE NEVER OPENED THE LAPTOP UP (IF I DID I WOULD WANT VERY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS)

The next concern I have is if your heat sink is warped or machined out of square, is the surface square?
Is it properly locked down and making full contact with the core of the processor?

ONCE AGAIN - NO IDEA

Hopefully, we can figure this out together. :thumbsup:

HOPE THAT HELPS :flowers:

MIKE

Bruce.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

Okay Mike, while reading my quote you used above, I noticed a typo that I made, I accidentally typed heat sink twice in the same sentence, which I am glad you knew that I meant to say processor. It has been corrected above in my post.

Laptop disassembly for HP laptops, lets try this link and see if it helps us out any with this laptop. http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/3-compaq-hp-laptops/

Check this out and let me know if you feel this information will be helpful to you.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users