Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after running EST program -now Bad pool

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bandito99

bandito99

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Upgraded to newest Internet Explorer. Got over 20 malware. Used Malaware, prevx. spydoctor, TrendMicro and then finally the EST program from this site. Came up with different results. EST found two trojans.

While running EST I downloaded the new Java runtime but did not install.

When I rebooted I got the BSOD. Since then I have aggravated it to where when I tried to reinstall XP..it gave me an error about Intel Matrix storage manager wanting info I dont have(can't remember what it asked) but I told it to continue..eventually it locked up ..and now I am getting bad pool error and I cant do anything.

The bad pool error is oX00000043 and it has 0xc2a8c000.

THis is an utter nightmare and I dont know enough to take out hard drives and make them slave drives etc.

When doing a Dell diagonistics the problems showed up in the Long test with the IDE and gave an error code 0f00 0232 Msg block 0963520..this was before I completely screwed it up where I can do nothing because of the bad pool error

Someone please help me with my BLEEPING computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

I see malware problems mentioned, along with a bad hard drive...and an error message that you did not quote.

That's asking a lot :thumbsup:, but I would start with the hard drive problem...since a bad hard drive can result in any number of other seemingly obvious system anomalies.

Looks to me as if your drive is THE problem, see This.

I would try to slave the drive to another system and see if I could move any data files desired from it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2010 - 08:21 AM.

#3 bandito99

bandito99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Here is the issue. Everything was fine..including the hard drive..until I did that upgrade. Then somehow I got well over 20 types of malware..trojans, root issues, etc.

And each type of scan I tried came up with something else. I don't think I ever got the recycler virus fixed when this went down. It went down right after I did the EST and tried to reboot. And I hadn't got to the recycler virus the Prevx found but EST did not find.

The Dell system will tell you the error message is a bad hard drive. But there are alot of responses where people have put the hard drive somewhere else and not had a problem...meaning it really wasn't a bad hard drive.

I don't know how to switch out hard drives..make them slave drives etc.
I am looking for another fix before I Have to get a new hard drive. If I have to switch drives I will just buy a new one.

Is there some kind of thing I can do within the XP program to get rid of the Bad Pool error.

When I try to do the recover I get this error
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
C:\windows\system32\config\system

So can't boot drive due to the config error
can't get XP disc to work for any other type of fix...like fixboot etc..because of the bad pool error.
It is a round robin of negativity.

Edited by bandito99, 17 August 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

As you like :thumbsup:.

Myself, I tend to not dispute the validity of a hard drive diagnostic result.

If I wanted a second opinion, I would download and run the appropriate diagnostic of the hard drive manufacturer (long test) and if that equates to the Dell Diagnostic results...well, you can still debate but the score will be 2 for 2.

In any case, I'd be moving files and I would not be moving any files which might be infected. My testing would come after that's done.

Louis

#5 bandito99

bandito99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

I now have installed a new SATA drive. The infected drive is the secondary drive on a Dell computer in # 5 position. When I enable the drive so that the computer can recognize it..the computer wont boot.

All I want to do at this point is recover some files. I tried Getdataback but that is useless because the computer doesn't recognize the bad drive unless I enable it in the boot menu..but if I do that then I can't boot.

I can't use BartPE because all kinds of errors come up..I guess because I am using a OEM WIndows XP CD.

How do I get my files off the bad drive.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Well...I can only give my assessment.

The only times I have experienced inability to boot because of a drive attached...is when that drive was bad. Once I realized that, I removed the drive...after I had verified it by running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on said drive.

After that, I ceased using that drive.

GetDataBack is the best recovery program which I have attempted to use. There are 2 versions, one for NTFS, one for FAT file systems. If you used the correct version correlating to the file system...and it could not read anything...I'd say the drive is toast.

Others here have more experience with recovery efforts and techniques.

Louis

#7 bandito99

bandito99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

I guess I am not being clear. The recovery program MIGHT work on the drive if I could get my computer to recognize the drive. I don't know how to do this.

If I enable it using the boot menu then the computer wont boot up. If I disable it to get the computer to boot up then the recovery software doesnt recognize the drive. All it sees is the new drive to run the program on.

I need to know what I need to do to get the drive to be recognized and still be able to boot up the computer.

The error I get is that they two disks are non raid disks and select "control I "to get into the screen for changing info.

Then it asks to create volume or make them nonraid disks.

My computer has a RAID bios..so clearly something isnt set up right.

Edited by bandito99, 26 August 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

Well...I cannot see how your BIOS is set up...I can only go by what you post and that's what I respond to. If you look at your posts from beginning to end...you will see that. You've made a series of statements of what you can and cannot do...one at a time...without providing any complete picture of what's going on, IMO

System manufacturer and model?

Post the exact error message, please...as well as the exact steps you take before the error message appears.

Louis

#9 bandito99

bandito99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

I have had so many blasted error messages throughout this it is hard to keep track. Here is the latest.

I have a Dell DM061. Intel Matrix Storage manager. WIndows XP

Good Drive - port 0
bad drive port 5.
Raid Detection set to ON in setup.

If I enable Bad Drive..booting up gives you a black screen that says nonraid disks. Control I to configure. If I ignore that the system doesnt boot.

If I do Control I...

Raid volume is 0. If I attempt to put numbers associated with the bad drive...like Volume2- it tells me it will erase all the data. Which I don't want. I am trying to recover files.

So all I want to do is boot up and be able to copy these files.

I cant find a way to boot up, have the computer recognize the hard drive..so I can run that Getdata program.

I added the Dell fix plugin for BartPE because I am using an OEM XP CD..but BartPE still will not burn a CD. Myabe I have to slipstream and that is beyond my capability.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Please turn off or otherwise change your RAID BIOS setting...if you don't have a RAID setup.

Louis

The Dell Dimension DM061 and E520...are the same system.

I believe your owner's manual is at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/NH730A01.pdf. I suggest you review the section dealing with RAID, starting at page 27 of the manual.

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#11 bandito99

bandito99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

I did read that and I am still at an utter loss.

I turned off the Raid setting to the " Autodetect." This caused a Stop error of 0x0000007B. I disconnected bad drive from motherboard and from the good hard drive. Still got the error. I booted up to last known configuration.

The computer will not let me boot unless I have the Raid setting at ON.

The original configuration did not have a second hard drive. The way I am reading the manual..anything I do there will delete the files from the bad hard drive.

I really really really dont understand what the problem is. Everyone talks about how easy it is to get files from your old hard drive (if they aren't lost)..and I can't even get the computer to recognize the old hard drive and boot at the same time.

I went into the Intel Storage manager.My good hard drive is listed as a Non Raid hard drive...but the system still requires me to configure with Raid Enabled to get it to boot.

Edited by bandito99, 26 August 2010 - 02:30 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hello I am going to try and help you get through this problem you are facing.

First of all, you need to have your good drive plugged into port sata0 and your other drive plugged into sata1. I seen where you had what appears to be bad drive on port 5 listed above.

(Clip from computer manual)

Drives 0 through 3
(On default)
Enables or disables an ATA or SATA device (such as hard-drive, CD drive, or
DVD drive). On enables the interface so that the device can be used.
Displays the Controller type (ATA or SATA), Port number the drive is using,
Drive ID number, Capacity, and whether the drive is controlled by the BIOS.

Raid option in your BIOS is either auto or ON, set to auto.

From what I can understand, your OS may be on a recovery partition on your original hard drive, this depends on your system of course, some systems have a recovery partition hidden on the hard drive for restoring the OS, some systems come with the OS on an OEM cdrom.

I am not clear on what software you are using, but it appears you are trying to transfer files from one hard drive to the other one.

It is in some cases better to install an OS on the new drive, so the drive is now bootable and required system files are loaded into memory.

Using the RAID configuration is basically when both drives are used for file storage in the event one drive fails or sectors fail, the other drive makes a duplicate copy of the original drive, such as a mirror crates a reflection of the original image.

In your BIOS set up utility Drive0 should be your new drive while drive1 should be your old drive.

Drive0 should be the first bootable hard drive and drive1 should not be reflected as a boot option since it appears the drive has an error of some sort.

Once this setup has been configured, your older hard drive should be available through My Computer, depending on what other drives are detected, this drive should be either D: or E: but it should reflect as being a local disk.

The next question is how are we going to get an OS on the new hard drive, so it is now a bootable device?
This answer would depend on where your operating system installation files are.
Are they on an OEM installation disk, or are they hidden on a partition on your original hard drive?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 August 2010 - 04:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 bandito99

bandito99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info.

Here is what happens.

Port 1 is the CD drive.
Put bad drive in it.
changed Raid option to Auto

goes to black screen when boots with choices

safe mode
safe mode with networking
etc.

no choice works
the blue stop message
0x0000007b
shows up.

to be able to boot up again... I need to uninstall the bad drive and put the raid option back to ON instead of auto detect.

which seems the opposite of what others have had to do with a Dell when this comes up.

I have Windows XP reinstalled on the new drive from OEM CD in one partition.

The two drives are connected by the same cable (one black thing attached to each drive) and then I have a serial ata cord that attaches from bad drive to port 1.

When the f6 option came up I ignored it and let it keep going...
perhaps that is the problem.

One odd thing I am noticing in the boot devices..some things are changing on their own.

Onboard Sata disk will show up sometimes as first device but no numbers for either hard drive are shown.
other times the actual Numbers associated with my good drive show up with the "onboard sata" showing as not present or undetected.

It seems there are people who have experienced this problem

Going back to Autodetect seems to work for many..but not me.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic45247.html

I think this is some sort of driver/setting problem combined with a bad hard drive that might have a boot disc virus.

Would I need to install Raid drivers to get this to work with that F6 function? I installed everything that was on the Dell driver disk.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

I read through that thread you posted.

Here is one quote from it.

I followed Frogtoast's rec and it worked. I was working on a Dell Dimension E520 which had corrupted and couldn't get past the XP login screen. I was trying to run a new install of XP and I got the 0x07B error. I went into the BIOS and changed from the Raid On option to the Autodetect Raid / ATA option and this allowed me to get past the error during install. The Raid On option is the Dell Default and they recommend using this via a message in the BIOS, but I disregarded it and was able to proceed. If I had the original Dell install disks I might have been able to move forward but the owner lost them. Pressing the F6 key at the very beginning of the new install might have gotten past the problem if I had not changed the BIOS but I would have needed to know and have available a driver for the Dell Raid controller.

Also:

I have experienced this problem mostly when there is a SATA HDD involved and a RAID controller.

To rectify this problem, you have to get into BIOS, find the SATA Menu and change in to Legacy mode (or ATA mode).

OR just disable AHCI. (in AHCI menu)

Worked for me.

Also:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316401

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 bandito99

bandito99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

But my problem is the exact opposite.

To get my system to boot..I have to have the Raid option "on" when just one drive is hooked up. (maybe due to some other setting???)
If i flip it to autodetect..I get the Ox0000007b and then I can't get online to figure out what to do.

I don't see anything in my Boot menu about ACHI.

Here is a quote from Intel
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...0811.htm#enable
"SATA Modes (AHCI; Hot Swap)
The SATA controller has three modes of operation:

* IDE mode - no AHCI, no RAID
* SATA mode (sometimes called AHCI mode) - AHCI enabled, no RAID
* RAID mode - AHCI enabled, RAID enabled

AHCI mode also allows for Hot Swapping drives.

Switching SATA modes in the BIOS after installing the operating system is not recommended when a SATA drive is the boot drive. Switching modes may cause an immediate blue screen with an 0x0000007b error code, followed by a reboot.

maybe this is the problem
I guess I am not going to be able to get these files because I am not finding a solution that will work.\

The other thing is that the posts I am finding aren't trying to do what I am doing. They are just trying to get first drive to work.

I am trying to get two drives to work...one bad.

Maybe this quote from Intel would work..if I wasn't trying to save the data on the drive:

"Configuring RAID on an Existing PC
Intel’s RAID configuration utilities offer the flexibility to upgrade from a single Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive to a two drive RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration when an additional SATA hard drive is added to an existing PC. With Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, you can also migrate to a 3 or 4-drive RAID 5 or a 4-drive RAID 10 configuration on ICH7R systems."

Edited by bandito99, 26 August 2010 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users