Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting/partioning/reinstalling help.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vimtokier

Vimtokier

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Alright, so I've been infected with a nasty virus and it has been suggested that I reformat my HDD and reinstall the OS. I've read through the links provided by the moderator who helped me with the virus problems, although a lot of the links refer to XP, not Vista. I think I have all the technical stuff figured out, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.

I'm currently using a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2010 - 03:37 PM.
Moved from XP to Vista forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

What computer brand and model is it?
Do you have recovery DVD, or Vista DVD?
Do you have important data on your computer?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Vimtokier

Vimtokier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

I'm not sure of the brand. It was a custom built computer, rather than a store-bought one. I have the original Vista CD. Yes, there is some personal data on my computer (some bank account stuff, email passwords etc)

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

Assuming, you have all data backed up, here is a manual: http://www.5starsupport.com/tutorial/vista-clean-install.htm
Since it's a custom build, I suggest, you use DriverMax: http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/ to save your drivers. It'll help you to reinstall them later too.
Vista DVD will provide number of drivers, but not all of them.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Vimtokier

Vimtokier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for the help.

I don't suppose you know anything about DriverMax, do you? I don't seem to be able to restore my drivers, I just keep getting the warning message "Cannot change Visible in OnShow or OnHide".

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

There are some hits on Google, regarding your error: http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl...q=&gs_rfai=
Try to go through them.
If you won't find any solution, we'll find your missing drivers manually.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users