Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to get diagnosed here?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Evenjos

Evenjos

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

I posted my Hijack This log in the malware forum about 12 hours ago, and got no response. It looks like my topic was bumped to many pages down--I can't even find it in there.

I realize that the people who run this site are all volunteers, dealing with many people screaming for help. I'm one of those people in need. Is there anything I can do to get diagnosed? ...Can I trust that my topic will eventually get read, or should I repost it periodically?

I'm in a desperate position. I use my home computer for work (I'm a contract animator, and often work from home). Somehow, it got the Security Tool virus, which knocked out a day of work for me. I managed to get rid of the virus, I think, but my IE is still hijacked, redirecting me to spam sites. I've replaced the HOST and searched the registry, but I'm not an expert. At this point, I need expert help.

Please, please, please, someone .... anyone ... help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Unfortunately, the wait can't be avoided. The malware helpers spend hours and hours each day reviewing and responding to help requests but never seem to get ahead of the huge influx of new requests. That being said, all requests for help are responded to.

The helpers have an automatically generated list that shows every single help request that has zero replies to it. They start with the oldest ones and work their way up to newer ones. No matter how many pages back your topic may be in the forum listing, it will be on page 1 of this list as long as there are no replies to it yet.

So it is important that you do not reply to your own help request, otherwise your request will fall from the list automatically (since it has more than zero replies.) Posting a new help request isn't much better since new posts go to the end of the line.

#3 Evenjos

Evenjos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Oh, crap. I did reply to mine, to post an update an update of the situation (installed new browser, new spyware, problem still persisted).

Will it still get looked at, or should I post a new topic? I guess I'll post a new topic, then reply to the old one with a link.

I ran ComboFix just now, after backing up everything on my computer. Lo and behold, the problem seems to be gone!!! ComboFix generated a log report, saying (among other things):

Infected copy of c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe was found and disinfected
Restored copy from - c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\winlogon.exe

Infected copy of c:\windows\explorer.exe was found and disinfected
Restored copy from - c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\explorer.exe

I would still like to get the full report looked at by an expert, just in case a trojan is still infecting my machine. I want to have peace of mind. But thank you very much for your reply.

And thanks to whomever wrote ComboFix!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users