Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use an old case to build a new computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MetalMania

MetalMania

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi, I was just wondering, if I have an old computer can I remove all the internals and use the case to build a new one? I've got a 10 year old Compaq that has been in storage for years, I just never got rid of it when I got a new computer (which itself is due for replacement). If it's an ATX case (any tips on how I could verify that?), should I be able to fit a new motherboard, etc in there and just reuse the physical shell? I know I'd need new everything from power supply on up, but was just curious if an ATX case (if it is one) from 2000 will still "work" with all new current internals. Or have ATX standards changed since then? Would I be better off just buying a new case?

On a side note, what do I do with all the old components? Is there a proper disposal path for old motherboards, RAM, graphics cards, etc? I guess I could keep the hard drive, even if it's only 20GB!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

You should be able to use the case. The one thing that I would want to check on is whether the motherboard is a full size ATX or a micro ATX. If it is a micro ATX this will considerably limit your selection of motherboards. Otherwise, you should be able to purchase off the shelf components and build your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users