Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not connect Win7 to 2k3 domain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasDG

ThomasDG

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

Can not connect to domain

I have been running windows 7 on a workgroup for several months now. I just recently had a need to connect it to the domain which is hosted on a windows 2k3 small business server. When I enter the domain name, it allows me to enter the username and password. It comes back with the error: An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

All of the IP and DNS settings are set up to auto. After looking at my settings through ipconfig, I have the same DNS as all of the other computers connected to the domain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Did you setup a homegroup for the workgroup? If so make sure you completely remove it before attempting to connect to the domain. Other than that there is somekind of resolution problem going on here. Have you attempted to ping the server from the win7 machine? Try it by IP as well as a fully qualified DNS name. Try a nslookup on the DNS name as well to see if the name resolution is working.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

I never set up a homegroup on the windows 7 machine. I am having issues pinging the server and can not get a response. I am not running through a router, just a switch so I am unsure as to why I would be having an IP issue.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

First thing I would try is to do and ipconfig release, renew, and flushdns. Since you can not ping the DC you have no chance of joinig the domain. You have to resolve the IP problem. Check your firewall setings on both machines.

Once the IP problem is solved if the DNS problem continues try manually setting the dns to the ip address of the DC and then join the domain.
Mark Twain

#5 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:47 PM

After doing some more investigation, I need to back up and try to see why this wont join the network. I can not see any of the other network computers, and they cant see me. It is not allowing me to do a release and renew of my ip for some reason. When I look at the network connection in the properties of the network it appears to be attempting to gain a network address, but can not gather one. They one that I have it says is just a temporary one. I have no idea where this leads me to go from here. Thanks for any suggestions that you may have.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

I would try to add the computer to the domain throught AD users and computers. Then try to connect.

Although I cannot confirm this I have seen people having issues connecting Win7 to server 2003 if it is not the R2 version. I would look into possible microsoft updates to support Win7 as well.

edit: it is possible the DHCP through the SBS server is blocking the win7 from connecting because the PC is not part of the domain that is why I said add it first.

Edited by Baltboy, 22 August 2010 - 09:16 AM.

Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users