Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Freezing at Start-up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bameschke

bameschke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

My computer froze and I restarted it. At restart it started to boot-up then froze on the windows logo after a couple seconds. I started it up into safe mode and chose to try to start it into Windows Bug repair mode or whatever the exact name of that option is. It completed loading everything and then froze on a black screen. I restarted into safe mode again and used last known good config and , it again, froze on the windows logo. I restarted in again and ran it in safe mode. I used system restore to my last restore date and restarted. It, again, froze at the windows logo after a couple seconds. I am now running in safe mode w/ networking to post this topic, asking for some advice as to my next step.

A little sidenote on the system that I am unsure whether it will make a difference, but I am using a mac and bootcamp to start into windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

don't know much about bootcamp and macs, but if you have your Windows 7 disc, boot into that and select Repair Computer.

#3 bameschke

bameschke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

don't know much about bootcamp and macs, but if you have your Windows 7 disc, boot into that and select Repair Computer.

I do not have my windows 7 disk in a place where i can get to it at the moment, but I will certainly try that when i have the opportunity, if no one has any other ideas for me to try.

Edited by bameschke, 17 August 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Actually it just occured to me, that may not work since it is a Mac. But if you were able to install Windows 7 on it, then I s'pose it is a possiblity.

Were you able to boot into W7 before ok? Are you able to boot into OS X?

Edited by AustinTerry, 17 August 2010 - 11:57 AM.

#5 bameschke

bameschke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Yes i have been able to boot into windows 7 before. I have had bootcamp on it for at few months. And i can still boot up into safe mode and mac..... so i dont think it has anything to do with bootcamp.... why can i boot fine into safemode but not into last known good config? what are the differences between the two that would cause me to crash?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hi,

I would do as previously stated and get your windows 7 disc and use it to repair windows. I would imagine if it is freezing like that then it could be a driver or a file system error of some sort. :huh:

Bootcamp help and information: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

windows file errors and repair instructions from microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ns-in-Windows-7

Edited by computerxpds, 17 August 2010 - 03:52 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 dob1

dob1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

I had similar symptoms with a very different machine, so this may not apply to you. Mine turned out to have been caused by an older, faulty, Hard Drive that I had swapped into the system. But once the system was freezing like that, the Windows Repair option from the Windows 7 disk was useless and a complete reinstall was the only thing I could do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users