Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 felixfry

felixfry

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:44 PM

I am trying to network my desktop and laptop using a linksys wireless-g 2.4ghz 802.11g broadband router
with out much luck.
I have set the router up and so both items have internet access, but i can't seem to get them to network.
Both computers are running windows xp home with sp2 , i have run the network setup wizard on both and disabled the windows fire wall on both. when i go in to "my network places "on the desktop which i am using as the host and click on "view work group computers" it shows both of them, but when i click on the laptop icon i get a message "laptop is not accessible.you might not have permission to use this resource. contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permission. the network path was not found."
when i go in to "my network places" on the laptop i get nearly the same message except it says "the list of servers for this work group is not currently available" also there are no icons for either computer shown here.
I have pinged both computers and got 100% loss on both. The ip 's are 192.168.1.103 for the desk top and
192.168.1.104 for the laptop they both have subnet 255.255.255.0 and both have default gateway 192.168.1.1
I have tried to give as much information as i can here but if you need to know anything else i'll gladly get it.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

regards Felix
p.s i am a relative novice at this so its step by step if possible, thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:41 PM

A couple of quick comments:

You should have firewalls set up on both systems, turn off the Windows firewall and use the one in your anti-virus software. If that does not have one, download and install Sygate, Kerio or ZoneAlarm. You may have to do some experimentation which will work best with your system. Only run one firewall at any time. You can find links here: Recommended Freeware
- you will have to do some tweaking (e.g. enter your LAN adress range in the permissions list) to get the network working but you will be better protected from outside attacks.

Check you have both systems on the exact same workgroup name.

You have wireless NICs in both PCs (obviously), did you configure them as peer-to-peer or for WAP use? Does the wireless software show you what connections it has available and are both PCs connecting to the same network?

Are those static IPs you configured or just what you're seeing at the moment?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 04 November 2005 - 10:45 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:38 AM

Have you enabled file and printer sharing? You will need to set the permissions for each file, by right clicking the folder/drive then select sharing and enabling the level of sharing you desire. I do not recommend sharing whole drives. The shared folder is plenty.
For a wireless network I would password protect what I share. It's a pain but if some neighbor taps your system, they will have unrestricted access to your computers without passwords.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 felixfry

felixfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:51 AM

Thanks for your replies guys
Hi acklan
I had enabled printer and file sharing i have also password protected
the network( which i have now disconnected)
i am grateful for your time and help
thanks alot felix

Greetings Rimmer
thanks for your time,
i had only turned off the windows fire wall and left the overs running
that is norton onthe laptop and sygate on the desktop .
as for the IP's i checked the "obtain an ip automatically" box as the instructions said as i am using a DHCP connection, the work group name is exactly the same on both, and i'v tried peer to peer and wap
i am going to have another look at the fire walls the problem may be there, also it has now started to try and connect through dial up,
which is something that i have done while i'v been try to sort this out.
so i have disconnected it for a while.

thanks again felix

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:03 AM

From a command prompt, run ipconfig /all to check the ip addresses of both PCs and the gateway.
At each PC, at a command prompt, ping the gateway and then the other PC e.g. ping 192.168.1.1
Then temporarily disconnect the router from the internet and turn off the ani-virus and firewalls on both PCs.
Do the pings again.
At the command prompt type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew then recheck the ip addresses and try the pings again.
If there is no difference I'd be looking at the firewall settings on the router... maybe?
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 felixfry

felixfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Rimmer
i'll try that and let you know what happens!

regards felix

#7 felixfry

felixfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:19 AM

i have just done ipconfig/all and it dont look right to me,should i post the results or is there private info there that i should'nt post?

regards felix

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

You don't need to worry about the 192.168.x.x addresses because these are for your (and everybody else's) local LAN only. The router IP I'm not sure about, better put in some xxx for safety.

#9 felixfry

felixfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:43 PM

here are the resultsof the ipconfig/all ,i have xxxxxout some of it just to be on the safe side.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxx>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxxxx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-60-1C-5C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20f:1fff:fe60:1c5c%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.112.39
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 06 November 2005 09:27:11
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 November 2005 09:27:11

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:24 PM

Nah! It's all too much for me...

There is a Microsoft article describing that Teredo stuff here.

Here is an extract -

Summary

Teredo is an address assignment and host-to-host automatic tunneling technology that provides unicast IPv6 connectivity when IPv6/IPv4 hosts are located behind one or multiple IPv4 NATs. Teredo tunneled packets are sent as IPv4 UDP messages. Teredo communication is facilitated by Teredo servers and Teredo relays. A Teredo host-specific relay is an IPv6/IPv4 that does not use Teredo addresses, but can communicate with Teredo clients without having to use a Teredo relay in the communication path. There are defined processes for obtaining a Teredo address, maintaining a NAT mapping, and performing initial communications between Teredo clients, Teredo host-specific relays, and IPv6-only hosts. The initial communication process in each case depends on whether the Teredo client is located behind a cone or restricted NAT.

- are you sorry you asked yet? :thumbsup:

I only know about simple things like 'ping' and 'DIR'.... *sigh*

Did you do the ipconfig /all on the other machine? Was there anything different?
Did you do the pings? What were the results? (roughly)

#11 felixfry

felixfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

Hello rimmer
Thanks for looking at that for me, i think i'll give up on it for a while and try and get some info from microsoft and linksys.
its to much for me ,i'm in over my head.
thanks very much for all your help i am grateful for it.
take care mate regards felix

#12 CSpiner

CSpiner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:44 PM

I had the exact same problem with my desktop and laptop. Try using the Easy Connect at linksys.com. Hopefully, that will take care of your problem.
"You will always be a step ahead in the back of my head" ~ Caroline's Spine
"Won't someone tell me how we live to be 75" ~ Caroline's Spine
"Vote for me and all your wildest dreams will come true." ~ Pedro (Napoleon Dynamite)

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:19 PM

If you don't know what port forwarding is your probibly don't need it. Are you port forwarding games, or connected at work?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxx>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxxxx Should be your computer name
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Obtain DNS automaticly
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-60-1C-5C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20f:1fff:fe60:1c5c%4 Should be a LAN IP 192.168.1.10x
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.112.39 Enable "obtain IP automaticly"
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 06 November 2005 09:27:11
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 November 2005 09:27:11

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: Are you using Port Forwarding?

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Enable if not Port Forwarding
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 if not Port Forwarding
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . : Disabled default (there is a default setting for DHCP)

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Enable if not Port Forwarding
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 Enable auto if not Port Forwarding
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled Again Enable if not Port Forwarding

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 QAZNBOY

QAZNBOY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

To all you guy, who got problem with this Tunnel whatever. While ago I got the same problem with your, and I go to google surf to find an answer. I didn't find any answer to my problem at all. So I sit back and think. What is went wrong? How come yesterday I still be able to access the network files and printer, but how come I can't access it now? I though I got someone hack in my computer, and try to scan virus everything. Well, of course nothing show up. So I keep thinking what I just did and created this kind the problem. So I remember I just install a Sygate Pro Personal Firewall on COMPUTER 1. The problem is not on COMPUTER 1, but it is on COMPUTER 2. The COMP 1 still able to access sharing files on COMP 2, but the COMP 2 can not access the files sharing on COMP 1. Alot people saw the problem on COMP 2 would though something wrong with COMP 2, and plus it show the Tunnel thing when we use command prompt IPCONFIG right? But it doesn't show in IPCONFIG on COMP1.

Therefore, I think it must be something block the access COMP2 to COMP1. The only thing could block the access from network and internet is FIREWALL right? That why, I go to my COMPUTER 1, which I just install Sygate Firewall. I went to the SYGATE FIREWALL OPTION, NETWORKING TAB. I saw there is 2 things on it, but only 1 thing is selected. This 2 things said something like this:

1. ALLOW OTHER TO BROWSE MY SHARE FILE AND PRINTER. (Which is selected )

2. ALLOW OTHER TO USE MY SHARING FILE AND PRINTER. (Which is NOT SELECTED)

That why, I select the 2nd as well, and the problem solve. I hope this post we help you guy, who ran into this kind of problem. Good luck.

P.S. I register to this forum just to post this answer to help you guy. I'm an admin of one forum. :D

Edited by QAZNBOY, 20 February 2006 - 09:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users