Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete Recycling Bin Hidden Files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kinkarso

kinkarso

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:37 AM

Hi there,

When doing a full-computer virus scan, I noticed that it is taking forever for the software to search through the apparent 'recycling bin'.

Of course, I had already cleaned it out. However, after going to where it is located on my computer, it seems there are quite a few hidden files that can't be deleted:
http://screensnapr.com/u/w7f7in.png

I've changed my computer settings in control panel to show hidden files, but it doesn't seem to work.

Do you know how I can view & delete all of these files from the Recycling bin?

Thanks!
Donny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

Right click on Recycle bin and choose, (empty recycle bin).

#3 kinkarso

kinkarso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've already did that. It's just that there are 'hidden' files (600k+ of them) in my recycling bin, which shows up once you navigate to it in windows explorer and go to properties (http://screensnapr.com/u/w7f7in.png).

Thanks,
Donny

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

2 things...

First, when you empty recycle bin, you are not actually deleting the files. Windows just makes the space available to be written over. So technically the files are still on the hard drive, until another files takes up its space.

Second, if there are hidden files in the recycle bin, then they are probably hidden for a reason, and are operating files. If you found a way to delete them, then the recycle bin might cease to operate.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

System files can't be located in recycle bin.

Try this:
Line 64 RHS - Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

Wild guess: I know that Norton software...used to automatically invoke a hidden recycle bin. Any Symantec software installed?

Louis

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Louis, I was just about to ask the same question after doing some research...

also here is some good reading about Recycle Bin...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136517

The article pertains to older versions, but the jist is about the same.

Edited by AustinTerry, 18 August 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

I'm wondering how files like that would get in the recycle bin. Has there been some sort of registry cleaner, tune up or the like been used.

#9 Dirtpile

Dirtpile

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

I have ran into this problem many times. i turn off my recycle bin so that it dont take up space when i delete things for new files to be downloaded. I figured this error out when i realized that by using a GUI hard drive viewer software, there was that recycle bin hidden folder taking up my valued hard drive space. heres how to get rid of it. Download SpaceMonger a hard drive viewer program and install. once you see the file taking up the space, select it, then at the top of the window select delete.

#10 Depyo

Depyo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

Hey guys, I too have encountered the same problem.I found that I had 500GB disk space and only 22.5 GB was available for use.While checking the hidden folders, I found that a file named 'Recycle Bin' was occupying about 400+ GB space!I tried deleting the folder by whole as a group.It didn't work out and the file came again as a sub-folder in another hidden folder.Well, the solution is :

"Open the folder and delete the folders there individually or by selecting all manually and later deleting it"

NOTE: Using Shift + Delete would work well as it jumps to a new step of permanent deletion.

Cheers,

DEPYO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users