Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange system files in C and E drives.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:15 AM

Hi,

I recently noticed two strange system files directly on my C and E drives, the E drive is not a physical drive. On the C drive the file is hda1 on the E drive hda5. The two files were created on the same day at the same time, 46 bytes each. My av has no problem with them. Does anyone no what they might be? They arrived around the time I used Panda usbvaccine, could they be part of this program?

Thanks for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

The name applies to drive C: being hda1 and E: being hda5 in which E: is the fifth letter of the alphabet, hence hda5.

Usually linux would use sda1 or hda1 for hard drives names, but it also depends on the drive and if it SATA or PATA hard drive.

please read this post from this web site. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/li...-is-hda-596762/ scroll down past the site introductions about creating an account and read this thread about hda1.

Do you have UNIX or Linux installed on this computer?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:51 AM

Hi Bruce, thanks for the help.

No, I do not have Linux or Unix on this computer. But about the time that these files appeared I had been attempting to use Avira's rescue disc which uses Linux and also Macrium reflect which uses a linux boot disc. Do you think that one of these could have been responsible for creating the files?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

No, I do not have Linux or Unix on this computer. But about the time that these files appeared I had been attempting to use Avira's rescue disc which uses Linux and also Macrium reflect which uses a linux boot disc. Do you think that one of these could have been responsible for creating the files?

I would tend to believe this to be true, you can right click the files and you should be able tell what date they were added to your computer, if you can connect these files to the date you did those rescue disks, you will know they are related and thus you have your answer and the mystery to their being there is then solved.

Please share your findings with us if you don't mind. :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:00 AM

you can right click the files and you should be able tell what date they were added to your computer, if you can connect these files to the date you did those rescue disks, you will know they are related and thus you have your answer and the mystery to their being there is then solved.

Please share your findings with us if you don't mind.

The date on the files is around the time that I used the Avira and the Macrium Linux discs but I can't remember the exact time that I used them. It does seem that one of them could be responsable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users