Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do malware writers ever get arrested?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Evenjos

Evenjos

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

I'd like to know about the process between black hats and white hats, and if there's a team of people somewhere who track down malware writers and spammers. My computer was infected with the Security Tool virus, which took me ALL DAY to deal with, and I'm still not done. It's pure evil.

So I'd like to know, what sort of person writes such a nasty virus? Is it just one person, or a team? How do they protect themselves from being arrested? And what will eventually happen to him/her/them? I'm hoping lots and lots of prison time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

Yes, and then they get high paying jobs to do security for governments, large electronics corporations, etc.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

Yeah as JonM33 said it is a cycle, If you think about it, its like they are writing it as an example so they can get that high paying govt job. :)They break the law then they prevent others from breaking the law.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Evenjos

Evenjos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

Well, that's wonderfully moral. They get ahead at the expense of other people's time and work hours. How nice.

Grrrrrr. NOT what I wanted to hear. But thanks for your replies. I'm still hoping someone on this site will diagnose my Hijack This log and help me clean off whatever traces of virus are still affecting my browser.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

Just be patient as it may take a few days for someone to pick up you log. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

Well, that's wonderfully moral. They get ahead at the expense of other people's time and work hours. How nice.

Grrrrrr. NOT what I wanted to hear. But thanks for your replies. I'm still hoping someone on this site will diagnose my Hijack This log and help me clean off whatever traces of virus are still affecting my browser.

Ever seen the movie "Catch Me If You Can"? If not, it's about a person (Frank Abagnale Jr) who used to forge checks, millions of dollars worth. He was so good that the FBI hired him to help catch others and he was also paid to develop better checks that prevent forgery.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

The odds of getting caught are slim. But some do get arrested: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/335754/creators-of-the-tdl3tidservtdss-rootkit-arrested/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Evenjos

Evenjos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

I did see Catch Me If You Can, and I did have a problem with the character of Frank. I was inclined to forgive him due to his youth, his mental problems, and the fact that he spent the rest of his life working to redeem himself. I doubt all of these hackers have that much to redeem them. Nasty people.

#9 scherrypoppa

scherrypoppa

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

My computer was infected with the Security Tool virus, which took me ALL DAY to deal with, and I'm still not done. It's pure evil.

my problems are going on for about a month now. lol. so far ive been spending about 40 hrs on the problem. i back upped all the important stuff so I'm basically ready to give up and do a compete reinstall of the OS.
But not just yet! Since I've been dealing with this for so long I think it is well worth it to wait that extra week to get your problem taken care of here. Do not give in to temptation and let's defeat that evil spy-ware!

Edited by scherrypoppa, 18 August 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#10 Evenjos

Evenjos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

But not just yet! Since I've been dealing with this for so long I think it is well worth it to wait that extra week to get your problem taken care of here. Do not give in to temptation and let's defeat that evil spy-ware!

Did you try ComboFix? I ran it just now (after backing up everything on my computer), and it seems to have solved the problem! I don't have peace of mind yet ... I won't really, until an expert analyzes my ComboFix log ... but I feel a lot better, being able to surf the internet like usual. I just hope it lasts. I'm worried that the redirects will start happening again.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

Please do not suggest combofix:

ComboFix is an Anti-Malware tool used by advanced malware technicians

specifically trained in its use.

Please DO NOT USE COMBOFIX on your own without supervision!!!

We ask that you obey the warnings about using this tool. Why? The warnings are given for a reason and one of them is to inform our members about the consequences that may occur when using ComboFix in an unsupervised environment. Yes, ComboFix is an excellent but powerful tool. I liken it to Acetaminophen (Tylenol). Used correctly, the drug will help with your aches and pains. Used incorrectly, it can destroy your liver and eventually kill you. The same scenario applies to ComboFix. Used in untrained hands this tool can disable your computer and in some cases can make it unbootable. Further, trained helpers prefer to see preliminary scans from other tools like DDS and GMER to check for the presence of rootkits before asking anyone to run Combofix. This is important because some infections can affect the tools we use and identification allows planning a strategy for effective disinfection.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

The above quotes are just part of the following information: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 GoodfellaLFC

GoodfellaLFC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

If a virus writer did get arrested and sentenced would they go to a normal prison?

#13 jbeck52

jbeck52

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

I'd like to know about the process between black hats and white hats, and if there's a team of people somewhere who track down malware writers and spammers. My computer was infected with the Security Tool virus, which took me ALL DAY to deal with, and I'm still not done. It's pure evil.

So I'd like to know, what sort of person writes such a nasty virus? Is it just one person, or a team? How do they protect themselves from being arrested? And what will eventually happen to him/her/them? I'm hoping lots and lots of prison time.

How about "burning them at the stake? :thumbsup:

#14 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

If a virus writer did get arrested and sentenced would they go to a normal prison?

As in one of those High security prisons with big angry men running around in prison gangs with shanks and knives? In the United States, most likely not. They are probably sent to a minimum security prison or something like that for people who commit more white collar crimes. But the thing is they can be sent to prison if what they do is serious enough to warrant it.
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#15 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:08 AM

I would hope so, but sadly - I bet they don't, even if they could catch them it would probably be to much paperwork/detail investigation that charges wouldn't be pursued. I could be wrong.. hopefully i am.. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users