Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser hijack (Google links)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Claptonvaughn

Claptonvaughn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:07 AM

System: Windows 7 32-bit

Affects: Opera and Firefox browser

Problem: After doing a search on Google, my search results will often get rerouted to other sites that range from other search sites to completely random.

I have tried Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware and Spybot: Search & Destroy (always updating their databases beforehand). While they have found various infections and removed them, this particular hijack issue persists. I have tried doing a complete reinstall of my browsers and this has not fixed it either.

Thank you for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Claptonvaughn

Claptonvaughn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

Any suggestions at all?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 thewrastler

thewrastler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

I had the same problem and tried every program suggested on these boards to rid myself of this thing. On another site, someone mentioned downloading Microsoft Security Essentials. I did this and ran their scan and it found and removed the virus causing my problem. If it reappears at least I'll have an idea of what I'm dealing with. It may or may not work for you, as it seems this has many variants. Good Luck.

#5 Claptonvaughn

Claptonvaughn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller

Thank you, that seems to have fixed it. It was an on/off kind of problem so it may take some longer testing to know for sure, though.

Thanks also to the other poster who suggested a fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users