Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frustrated: Files won't open & System Restore won't open

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 charliekane

charliekane

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

last week my computer would boot all the way up to the desktop but when i tried to open up my files they wouldn't open and the content in my start menu wouldn't load up, so i forced shut down the comp went into safe mode and did a system restore from July 22nd (since that was the only restore point available) and that seemed to fix everything. everything worked fine after that. i've done this process twice since last week w/ restore points from July 22nd and Aug. 13, since every time i shut down my comp files won't open and the start menu content won't load compelling me to do a system restore to fix everything, which it did.

so, now, to today. got home, i turned on my comp and encountered the same "files won't open, start menu content won't load" problem but when i went to do a system restore using 3 of the 4 restore points from aug. 14, since all the others were gone and those were the only ones left, the problem still existed.

w/ 3 of the 4 not working i was losing hope that the last one would work, so after the third attempt, while in safe mode, i decided to just google the problem but when i went to open firefox i got a xull.dll error message. so i tried out google chrome to see if i could get on the net that way. that worked.

before googling why my files won't open i googled the xull.dll problem first, since that was the freshest frustration in my mind. i googled it and read it was part of some registry issue and that xull.dll error messages usually mean your registry is damaged. this made me think that my "file opening" problem could be a result of a damaged registry and that this xull.dll malfunction was, ironically, fortuitous since it possibly leads me to the overall problem and how i could fix it.

i googled a free registry repair program, found one and DLed it. i did a scan w/ it, used it to fix the errors then i tried to open firefox to see if it was fixed and to use that as a small test, a small indicator, that everything else would be fine. but, no, the xull.dll error popped up again, although this time it said you might want to re-install the program to fix it. i did that; it worked, but my file won't open problem still lingered and i was back to where i started: frustrated and clueless.

at this point, i went to my last hope: my last restore point, but when i clicked system restore it wouldn't open. the box framing the program would open, but it was just a blank white page: no words, no circle to click, no restore points to choose, no content at all.

at this point, i thought, maybe, when i fixed the registry by deleting the registry stuff i might have deleted something that helps the "system restore" program to work. so, i went to the registry program's file restore section and restored the stuff i fixed or deleted, but still the system restore program won't open. so now i'm here.

anybody know what the problem is w/ my system restore program? did my registry fix actually hurt my comp? and more importantly, the initial problem that lead me to all of this: does anybody know why my files won't open and why my start menu content won't load and how i could fix this ?

i have windows XP service pack 3.

thanks.

Edited by charliekane, 17 August 2010 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:24 AM

If you have the installation CD for the operating system try doing a repair installation. This will not affect your data.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 charliekane

charliekane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:58 AM

If you have the installation CD for the operating system try doing a repair installation. This will not affect your data.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

yeah, i don't know, my comp is inconsistent. i left for 2-3 hrs, came back, turned the comp back on and tried it in regular mode just to see what happened and suddenly everything seemed to work fine; well, after some time things were fine: files opened, start up menu content loaded. but from my last shut down nothing seems to be the conspicuous cure-all or something that stood out as being something that could have fixed the laptop. all i did was surf the net; posting my problem to a bunch of computer support forums and doing a google search on what the problem may be while in safe mode.

the system restore problem still exists, though. the program still won't load: it just remains a box w/ a blank white page; completely unresponsive, which leads me to believe that the comp is not completely fixed and my hesitation about turning the comp off at the end of the day for fear that turning off the comp is just going to end the thing that just magically fixed it is justified. plus, this sort of thing did happen once before where the comp would, out of nowhere, just suddenly work only to malfunction w/ the same problem the next several days.

i don't have the installation CD for this comp. i was doing an ebay search for xp software and i found some xp repair CDs that were considerably cheaper than a complete xp CD, could i just buy a repair CD to try and fix the problem or is that insufficient?

plus, are there any other things, in the meantime before i buy and have either one of the CDs or disks shipped to me, that i could do to try and repair the problem? i was thinking of DLing some system restore software off the net in an attempt to save that one elusive thing that seemed to be the quasi-panacea or quasi-cure all of my system (quasi since it didn't cure everything: the system restore thing). could turn out to be a catch-22, since adding anything to an uncertain situation could be dangerous, but im looking for anythiing. would you suggest anything else?

yeah, the first two paragraphs are, pretty much, superfluous: they're not particularly germane or relevant to your post. this post should have been terse or brief w/ just the third paragraph, but i just thought the info might be useful in diagnosing the problem w/ the comp.

thanks again. really appreciate it.

Edited by charliekane, 17 August 2010 - 04:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users