Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Driver/ nvidia Geforce 8500 GT Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johnghomefry

johnghomefry

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hello! My son has recently been playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2 on our family PC. He encountered a problem while playing, as in a flash of black screen that he disregarded as lag, and now when our Geforce 8500 Gt is enabled, i cannot run my computer in anything other than safe mode. I can run it in normal mode if i disable the device. I do not know what to do, if i need a new graphics chip or if its a simple directx 9.0 or 10.0 fix. please help! the following link provides an image of the error that comes up when i log into safe mode.

http://yfrog.com/3dhelppleasetj

Thank you for your time and help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

It seems that you are experiencing blue screen errors, please do the following:

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Try uninstalling the current video drivers...and installing fresh or updated video drivers.

Louis

#4 johnghomefry

johnghomefry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

I had a ton of blue screen errors, this one seemed the most important.
http://yfrog.com/0mbluehtj

Edited by johnghomefry, 18 August 2010 - 02:37 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

Please...post the detail, as previously suggested.

Any BSOD is important and it helps if a pattern can be seen...in those situations where users have many BSODs.

Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the video drivers?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2010 - 09:22 AM.

#6 johnghomefry

johnghomefry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

==================================================
Dump File : Mini081710-01.dmp
Crash Time : 8/17/2010 12:25:56 AM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : 0x86f4b510
Parameter 2 : 0x8b616e80
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys
Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+be80
File Description : NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Kernel Mode Driver, Version 178.24
Product Name : NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Kernel Mode Driver, Version 178.24
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 7.15.11.7824
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini081710-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6001
==================================================

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

You are running Windows Vista correct?

Your problem is related to your Nvidia brand video graphic drivers.

The culprit or driver is this one. Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys File Version : 7.15.11.7824
I have the same file on my windows 7 computer but my version is the following 8.17.12.5896 it is a Windows Vista and Windows 7 driver, therefore your driver is out of date and should be updated to the latest driver.

Go to the Nivida web site and if you need to, let the automated program on Nvidia's web site auto-detect your current video card's driver.

Here is the link. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us Please allow this program to run by clicking the yellow bar at the top of your broswer and choose allow, this is only displayed in Windows Internet Explorer 7 or 8 with Windows XP SP3, Vista or Windows 7.

Allow the auto-detection to run, it will point you to the correct updated driver.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 August 2010 - 01:39 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 johnghomefry

johnghomefry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Thank you all for your help. The last thing i did was update my nvidia like Bruce said, and while that seemed to fix the problem outside of the game, he just tried to play and said that the same thing happened again. He got into the game and then he saw a black flash then the game screen, completely lagged out. It seems something is still wrong with the driver or my chip.

#9 taheriron

taheriron

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

hello,
I also use to have nvidia geforce 8500gt card ...and its a very bad card...i replaced it 3 times underwarranty when i had a 3rd replacement on the last date of warranty date it again got bad with in months after expiry of warranty.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users