Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just want to make sure my computer is clean...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mpg317

mpg317

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi, I have a question about the security of my computer; I'm 99% sure I'm fine, but I would like to know for sure. One month ago I was infected with the java exploit described here http://www.inreverse.net/?p=804 but the actual variant that I had is described here http://www.inreverse.net/?p=987 with AdgredY, LoaderX and DyesyasZ. As soon as I could tell I was infected (a blank popup appeared, followed by the Java initialization popup in the toolbar for no apparent reason), I closed my browser, shut off my wireless connection by manually flipping the wireless switch on the laptop, and began a full scan with both Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 and Malwarebytes. Symantec was the first to catch the infection, which was two compressed files, both containing the three components of the java exploit described above. I would post the scan log, but SEP deletes the logs after a couple weeks, or else they are buried somewhere in my computer. MBAM didn't locate anything, and over the next few days, I went into "overkill" mode and DL'ed numerous other antispyware and antivirus products, such as SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, avast!, and CCleaner to clean unnecessary files from my computer. I then deleted previous restore points, shut off system restore, and did numerous scans in Safe Mode with the various products which all came back clean, so I became pretty sure that I was safe. I kept an eye occasionally on my netstat through the Command Prompt to confirm all outbound and inbound communications weren't suspicious. It has been a month now, and I haven't really noticed anything odd about my computer. Should I assume that I have a clean bill of health? As a sophomore Computer Science major, I was pretty distraught about getting a virus.

Thanks for reading that. I appreciate any help you can give me.

P.S. I basically followed the steps from this link after my java infection http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1426658

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mpg317

mpg317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

Update since I last posted: My Windows Live Mail hasn't been able to send out any emails since last tried to send one about a week ago (I refrained from using my email for anything other than receiving mail since my infection) and both Age of Empires II and Age of Empires II: the Conquerors haven't been able to boot up other than for the initial loading screen. I don't know if CCleaner/ another virus protection program would have deleted a necessary .dll that both needed for proper use, or if the java exploit did anything. Other than those two issues my computer has been seemingly fine.

Again thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users