Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Diddyspark

Diddyspark

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

The CPU fan on my Compaq D530 starts on high speed and eventually slows down just after XP loads. It takes nothing for the fan to build up to full speed with very little useage. Opening a browser can do it. I have cleaned the dust and crud from the fins, I have applied new heat sink grease to the processor, I updated the BIOS but nothing helps. It's not a big issue but sitting quietly in my bedroom that fan can get on ones nerves. Any help on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

I take it you have a noisy fan that annoys you, hey its just doing its job.

You could try replacing the cooling fan with a quite-cool technology, fans of this type are fairly quite when they run.

Being that you already cleaned out the computer and added new thermal grease, I'd say you have the other solution already covered.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Diddyspark

Diddyspark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

I may have to look into that. It's just noisy or I'm getting old.

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

The CPU fan on my Compaq D530 starts on high speed and eventually slows down just after XP loads. It takes nothing for the fan to build up to full speed with very little useage. Opening a browser can do it. I have cleaned the dust and crud from the fins, I have applied new heat sink grease to the processor, I updated the BIOS but nothing helps. It's not a big issue but sitting quietly in my bedroom that fan can get on ones nerves. Any help on this?

If my research is correct, that should be running a relatively cooler running Pentium 4 Northwood (66W TDP). So heat shouldn't be a major issue. From my experience working on Compaqs that should be using a standard fan with a 3-pin connector to the motherboard. You can replace the fan with a new one and see if that resolves the issue. I'd check Ebay.

#5 Diddyspark

Diddyspark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

Maybe a new fan would help but something sure is telling it to speed up.

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

You could always replace the entire heatsink. There are plenty of Socket 478 heatsinks out there.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

I agree with what JonM33 posted above, thanks for the input JonM33!

Diddyspark, your BIOS probably has a main menu called POWER and in that BIOS menu you probably have the cooling fans set to be controlled by the BIOS.

The BIOS settings can be set to allow the fans to run full RPM all the time, or it can be set to speed up and speed down as the system requires.

Some cooling fans use bushings on the spindels, these become worn after continued use and eventually allows the spinning fan to spin off center a bit and thus this causes vibration, that is heard coming from the computer case.

Sometimes, there is what is called slip and grip, this is where the lubrication between the shaft and bushing has broken down and thus, you hear occassional sqweeking or rubbing noises.

Replacement of the fan is the best option, a cooling fan can cost anywhere from $15.00 to $50.00, where as the processor can cost anywhere from $50.00 to $300.00 or even higher, the cheaper alternative in my opinion is to replace the cooling fan with the best available one out there and save yourself the cost of replacing a CPU.

As for why your CPU cooling fan spins up like it does, you can use Process Explorer to investigate what is happening when the cooling fan speeds up.

Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

You can also monitor your sensors with one of these two programs below.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

This program can do some of the same monitoring: SPECCY http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 August 2010 - 09:45 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Diddyspark

Diddyspark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

My fan noise is normal fan sounds. There is no abnormal sounds just a lot of typical fan noise.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

My fan noise is normal fan sounds. There is no abnormal sounds just a lot of typical fan noise.

I can understand.

If however the fan is louder than you'd like it to be, there are cooling fans out there that make much less noise than others, of course, there's not much you can do about the noise that the air that is being pushed makes.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users