Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Requesting to borrow a Windows XP Pro install cd, have the key.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Noyoudidnot

Noyoudidnot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

Alright, well this may seem like a bizarre request or whatever. I have taken the task of working on a friends computer thats been dying slowly over the years. ( The things 8-9 years ancient and they haven't exactly been treating it nicely.. Ive seen better maintained public bathrooms ) I have only taken some A+ courses and haven't bothered to certify ( a career in computers is not for me.. )

I have done this procedure a few times on multiple computers including my own, its always gone smoothly and quickly. However, after approx 3-5 hours of solid work with this one, nothing seems to do the trick. I have gotten close on a few occasions, but something ALWAYS goes wrong just at the end.

So, in a bid of hope I ask the people here if anyone out there, has/knows someone who has/can obtain a CD( or copy of?.. ) Windows XP Professional.

They have the CD key, it works, thats been verified already. I dont need another, and I wont buy another either.

Some details here I suppose

I am in New York, USA. So if you live somewhere like japan expect shipping to take a while..

The CD key works, thats established.

You can send me the CD any way you want, and Ill send it back VIA a local post office. ( hell, ill probably stuff in $5 for the trouble and as thanks )

The computer they are using was bought with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 ( WINXPPRO SP 1)

They do have a functional I386 file, however its 860 megs so it cannot fit on a CD.

There computer does not seem willing to burn a dvd..... >.>

Quick edit: Forgot to mention they have a regular CD/DVD drive and an A: Floppy disk drive. So you can send floppys too.. although admittedly I hate the things.

I have used every guide out there for this damned thing, and have done the procedure ( as mentioned above ) multiple times easily. This computer alone has ever given me trouble. So dont really expect to link me a guide and be done with it. ( I know how to use google too )

Anyway, all the details are here. If anyone wants to try to pitch in with advice/knowledge/A CD, feel free to.

Just respond to this thread mentioning you have what I need, and we can work it out from there. I will probably establish a phone call before giving you a shipping adress to a nearby store or something.

Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. Im still going to try working on this thing. So if no one comes up with a cd within a certain amount of time this issue could be resolved already.

Edited by Noyoudidnot, 16 August 2010 - 08:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

System manufacturer and model?

If OEM system...why haven't you simply gone through the vendor to get restore/recovery disks or replacement disks?

If the system is shot...reinstalling Windows won't overcome that.

Louis

#3 Noyoudidnot

Noyoudidnot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Its a dell, dont know anything more specific than that. Although Im not sure how knowing its a dell will change much..

Its an OEM, however I do not know how to obtain a restore/recovery disk through them without paying. Ive tried looking it up, but after 10 minutes of solid searching nothing seemed to appear.

System isnt shot, but at this rate soon could be.

Edit: Anyway, as mentioned the computer is 8-9 years old. Im almost 100% sure all warranties are DEAD by now. So if I need a warranty for them to send me the CD I need we can all forget that option. Ive been searching the dell website for a while but all thats turning up is instructions on how to use Datasafe Backup 2.0 ( a recent program that the computer Im working with does not have ). Im thinking of just calling any number for them I can find and requesting the CD, and seeing what happens from there.

Edited by Noyoudidnot, 16 August 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

You would have to pay Dell around $20-30 for the CD. That would probably be your best bet, anyway.

Other then that, and I won't say more then this since it'll go against BC's rules...but: you could always torrent an ISO image, then use your LEGAL key to activate it...of course that always carries the risk of viruses, etc....

#5 Noyoudidnot

Noyoudidnot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Damnit!!... Dell you greedy jerkbags. Eh, I expected as much.

So then, my request still stands. Does anyone out there ( heeeeellooooooooooooooo.. echo echo echo echo.. ) Have a CD that they can send to me in the mail for a bit!?!?..

Anyway, Im in the middle of asking everyone I know. But I do have a few options.

1: I can boot it from a flash drive/external drive
2: I can downgrade to 98 then upgrade to xp ( so i have heard )
3: I can bash the thing with a **** sledgehammer and tell them to STFU and get one that doesnt suck.
4: ( this I thought of myself.. ) I can transfer the neccesary files to my computer ( which can burn dvds, theres doesnt seem to want to ). THEN burn the dvd. The use it.

Anyway, thanks for trying so far and thanks ahead of time for anyone who can solve this.

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

Look on ebay for a Dell XP cd. Cheap, they already have SP3 on them. Ten bucks or less.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-XP-Pro-Reinstalla...DefaultDomain_0

#7 Noyoudidnot

Noyoudidnot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

Lolwut? A specific Dell reinstall cd.. but ive been scouring ebay for an hour already and the cheapest item I found was a $14 bid! ( with almost 2 full days left!... and 3 bidders!! >.< )

On topic: OOOWOAH.. dude you serious? Thanks for finding this for me. Ill check it out, and if this works thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Well, im out for tonight. Ill go ahead and order one of these tomorrow and get back to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users