Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sloooow start-up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 flashdoofus

flashdoofus

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

I have a win xp box that takes forever to startup. Everything is fine until I login. Once the desktop appears, everything looks as it should but the thing just hangs for about 5-10 minutes before I can do ANYTHING. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

System manufacturer and model?

How long has this been going on?

Where does the system hang?

Can you boot into safe mode without the delay?

Have you tried XP's System Restore function?

Any error messages?

Louis

#3 flashdoofus

flashdoofus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

WOW, that was quick!

Its an older machine:

compaq presario sr1803wm
intel celeron 3.20ghz
ram 2gb
win xp home sp2

Honestly, I have no idea how long this has been going on -- I was out of town for a few days, and my girlfriend was using it and doesn't know what she did. Rolling it back via system restore didn't resolve anything...just my luck!

It hangs as soon as the desktop appears. Everything looks fine, but I can't do anything for a few minutes.

Also, there is an error message that popus up that says, "Windows could not load the installer for mouse. Please contact your hardware vendor for assistance". Then it shows the "install new hardware wizard" popup.

This error message started happening awhile ago when I tried to install the software for my drawing tablet. I still get this error message even after I uninstalled the drawing tablet software, so I've been living with the error message for awhile (I have the drawing tablet installed on another machine).

I just did a "disk cleanup", rebooted, and now I have it defragmenting the hd. I haven't tried booting into safe mode yet, but I'll do that after the defrag is done and let you know if it still hangs...

Thanks Louis
Joe

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Well, if you have the Windows XP disc with you and are willing to go the extra mile, I would suggest a REPAIR installation.

But first, tell us if you are able to boot into the Safe Mode without any issues.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 flashdoofus

flashdoofus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

I'm willing to go the extra mile, but a repair installation sounds a little spooky...would that wipe-out my installed programs?

Anyway, this defrag thing is taking forever...as soon as its done I'll try to boot into safe mode and let you know what happens...

Thanks
Joe

#6 flashdoofus

flashdoofus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

Well, the defrag is finally finished, but it didn't help speed things up any.
When I boot into safe mode, its WAY faster -- it only hangs for about 20 seconds or so, and then the mouse error message comes up.
It sounds like I just have a bunch of unwanted stuff starting up when the computer boots-up...

What should I do now? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

Have you run any scans to see if you have an infection?

Doing a repair installation will not affect your data, it will be safe.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 flashdoofus

flashdoofus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:12 AM

Actually, I just remembered that when I bought the computer a few years ago, it didn't come with the XP CD, there was some program that you had to run that would burn some recovery discs, but I never did it.

However, I do have a Windows XP CD that I bought some years ago (from my college bookstore) -- should I try the repair from this XP CD, or is that a bad idea?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

If it is the same version as the one that you have installed, it should be fine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 flashdoofus

flashdoofus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

I just dug it up -- the CD is XP Pro, but i have XP Home installed on my machine...

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:59 AM

You will need a OEM CD of the XP Home. Do you know anyone that you could borrow the CD from?

Edited by dc3, 17 August 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#12 flashdoofus

flashdoofus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:25 AM

What's OEM?

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has Home, just Pro...

What should I do now? Am I stuck?

#13 flashdoofus

flashdoofus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Any ideas of how I can speed things up without an XP Home CD, or am I stuck until I can find somebody that I can borrow one from?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

If you've run chkdsk /r, then defragged...removed all extraneous/unused programs...reviewed your startup items...removed useless programs that are running scanners and taking up CPU cycles with no return...there's not much that can be done without doing a repair install or running the sfc /scannow command.

The best option for a system that old with probably never a clean install...would be a clean install, IMO.

Louis

#15 Chalzc

Chalzc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

You mentioned you can get into safe mode, right?

I think your computer is slowing because something that is supposed to load isn't replying back, and the computer is waiting for a time out.

Do you know how to get into MSCONFIG?

There's a tab in there called "Startup". If you deselect the programs inside there, and slowly add them back, one by one, you'll probably find one or more that slow down your computer.

Then you can do the "Uninstall/remove/repair" on that program.

Note: this will require a reboot after adding back each item. Do this when you have lots of time, and patience. Make sure you have critical pictures/documents/files backedup and saved off on a separate HD or CD/DVD.

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users