Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Virus Computer moves at a crawl

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jhaas

Jhaas

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

I have been running Windows Vista SP-1. I have tried everything I could think of to get my computer to moves faster that what it currently is. Within the past week and has been dogged down to the point nothing can be done. The CPU is running at a 90% and the memory is topping 80% when I try to open anything. I have scanned the computer in safe mode with MS Essentials, AVG 9.0, Malware Bytes, Spybot and Super AntiSpyware. They all find some adware and an occasional tracking cookie but never any viruses. I have tried to use windows defender but that refuses to start and when I go into the services console to start it I am not allowed. I get the error message " the windows defender service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs" I am also unable to update the computer thru windows update where as I can start it but it will go all night and not do anything past the first step. Any help would be appreciated. I also could have sworn my computer had a more recent update then SP-1. The Computer itself is 3 years old. I also ran a memory test and that came out passing on all steps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I can understand your frustration, but you've come to the right place for help.

What we need to look at here is what is making your computer work so hard to conduct ordinary functions.

You should check to see what programs you have running at start up, by going to your search field and typing msconfig and check the start up tab, if you have a lot of programs running at start up, this slows your computer down.

I am also providing two programs which you can download and install, both will show you what your system is or has allowed to run.

Auto runs http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Both web sites explains what the program are for and how to use them.

Auto runs has multiple tabs so you can look at each category independent of the others, but the programs starts off showing all of them in a list.

Process explorer shows you in real time what is bogging down your processor at any given moment.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 August 2010 - 07:58 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Jhaas

Jhaas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

I will try and use those programs but I did fail to mention that I did go to msconfig and disabled all the start up programs that were not needed at start up and the problem still existed

#4 Jhaas

Jhaas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Well ran the programs and really got nothing out of it. Auto runs showed me what programs started and nothing looked out of the norm there and then ran process explorer. System idle took up the most resources and search indexer took up a lot too. I Have tried system restore and that wouldn't work and windows defender still wont run. What are my options to speed the computer up without a need to reinstall.

#5 ilikefree

ilikefree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

Download CCleaner and clean up the drive
Then try a sfc scan go to start, all programs, accessories, command prompt. Right click and run as administrator Type sfc /scannow (note the space before /) If it finds errors run it again.
Then return to the command prompt and type Defrag.exe C: -W (Note the 2 spaces)
Download this program and defrag the registry http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm
Post back with results

#6 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

Update to SP2.

Only use one antivirus. Looks like you have both MSE and AVG.

Personally would uninstall both and use Avira Antivirus.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal...ion_7_d955.html

A defrag wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by zbd, 18 August 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#7 Jhaas

Jhaas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

I downloaded Ccleaner and it freed up 1.3 gb of hard disk space and I also ran the reg cleaner on the program and that found 25 issues. The computer gets defragged once a week so that is good but I will try the other steps in the morning when i have more time which will be on Friday.

#8 Jhaas

Jhaas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

I defraged the hard drive and I ran the ccleaner. The ccleaner got rid of 1.4 gb of useless files. I also ran a registry cleaner on the computer which found 3500 errors. Now the computer has been installing an update for the last 2 hours and it probably will for another 1 or 2 hours. Windows defender will still not start even when I try to start the service myself. I removed all the spyware programs and uninstalled MS essentials. I am ony running AVG 9.0 now. The problem still seems to exist but why??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users