Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-Link USB dongle (DWL-G122) is freezing my PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 *peter79*

*peter79*

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hello,

I was writing an email in gmail today when my PC decided to completely freeze up on me. The problem seems to be with the D-Link USB dongle, which is used for connecting to the wireless network.

I tried restarting a few times....1st time I got back to the desktop then it froze again, and after that it would just freeze during the first few seconds of system startup. Tried the Windows recovery CD too but that also froze while running "Windows Setup". I took out all the USBs and then it restarted ok, but when I plug back in the D-Link USB dongle, it almost immediately freezes EVERYTHING again.

Anyone know why this is happening? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Here are the system specs:
HP Pavilion PC
AMD Sempron Processor 3200+
1.79 GHz, 1.50 GB RAM
XP Pro Version 2002, SP2
D-Link USB Dongle Model No. DWL-G122

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

Check the drive for errors. It could have a few bad sectors causing the freezes.

To run Chkdsk:

1) Click start > run > type... chkdsk /r > press enter

2) if asked to run the utility at startup... press y > enter

3) reboot the system

#3 *peter79*

*peter79*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

thanks ectech1,

I tried that but it was still the same. was working fine for the last day, using LAN, not WAN, but then yesterday the whole system froze again. Now it won't even go past the very first startup screen, which displays "HP Invent <Esc=Boot Menu> <F1=Setup>". Pressing Esc or F1 doesn't work either.

So now the problem doesn't seem to be linked to the D-Link USB dongle. Since its the office PC, the boss has asked a local PC repair guy to have a look and try fix it so will see what happens next.

Anyone know what it could be?

Edited by *peter79*, 20 August 2010 - 01:52 AM.

#4 *peter79*

*peter79*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

Part of the mother board is burnt-out.....that'll do it! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users