Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding Your Computer Ipaddress

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gg234

gg234

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:36 PM

Hi,

www.debianhelp.co.uk is a web site that automatically detects and displays your computer's IP address. This can be helpful for configuring a computer on a network, setting up communications software, or troubleshooting an Internet connection. Your Internet Service Provider or IT help desk may ask you to visit this site when you're having problems with your Internet connection

www.debianhelp.co.uk

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

Good post,here's another:
http://whatismyip.com/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Cam

Cam

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:47 PM

Other option would be:

Win XP/2000
click on start>run>type CMD>type IPCONFIG

Win 9x*Grinler click on start>run>winipcfg>select NIC card from drop down menu

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:19 PM

Another one:

http://www.danasoft.com/

And, you can get this cool, free signature there also:

Posted Image
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:42 PM

I would go a bit further with the ipconfig command and type

ipconfig /all

try it :thumbsup:

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#6 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:02 PM

how come the ip address i get is different if i click on those sites as opposed to when i do the ipconfig thing. would being behind a router have anything to do with that?

#7 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

or, if your IP address is invalid (169.x.x.x) ipconfig/release, and once it all drops, ipconfig/renew... good old DOS

#8 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

how come the ip address i get is different if i click on those sites as opposed to when i do the ipconfig thing. would being behind a router have anything to do with that?

Router?!?!?!

#9 Cam

Cam

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

Yes, if you're behind a router you'll likely get an IP of 192.168.1.x, or something similar, whereas if you go to an online website it skips past the router and just reads from your computer.

#10 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:39 PM

A router creates a private home network, which prevents outside attack very well. (not perfectly, but very well).

But... because all the readings from your comptuer will be set to a private network (192.x.x.x), for internet assistance, don't be suprised if they ask you to bypass the router. After all, your home network is not their problem. lol.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Your router has 2 addresses.

It has the Internal address that starts with 192.168.x.x - that's for all the stuff inside the LAN (Local Area Network - all the computers hooked into the router)

And it has an External address which is what's seen on the internet when someone tries to reach your computer (and it's assigned to you by your ISP). It's not visible using ipconfig because the router's only seeing the network that it's connected to - and hasn't made the translation to the external address.

When a packet of information is sent to your computer, the router gets it first. It decides which computer on the network will get the packet and then sends it to it. Most of this is transparent to the user, but occasionally you'll get problems if there's a "hiccup" somewhere in the system.

If you've got a special program (like pcAnywhere, or an FTP server) that needs to be told how to do this - you'll use a feature called "port forwarding" - that forwards the ports that you've designated to a specific internal address - rather than letting the router decide.

Now that I've thoroughly confused the issue, let me restate:

A packet is how the information travels over the internet.

When a packet comes to you, it comes to your External address which is at your router. The router reads the packet and translates the address to the proper Internal address (which is your computer) and you receive the packet.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Try typing your IP address into the address bar of IE when you do get a 192.168.x.x.

This will let you into your router's config.. usually. Alot of problems involving connectivity can be handled in here. (might be password protected).

#13 Gary66

Gary66

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

Another one:

http://www.danasoft.com/

And, you can get this cool, free signature there also:

Posted Image

I hope you lose the IP sign John. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Gary! I only used it for the one post - but I don't seem to have the ability to Edit my previous posts!

Edited by usasma, 27 November 2005 - 09:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users