Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp crashes at welcome screen during start up.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joey0221

joey0221

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

I have a Compaq SR1610NX, and for the last two days, it has proceeded to crash during its start up. I will push the power button, and it will run like normal, until it reaches the welcome screen. Then a blue screen appears and it crashes, and restarts itself. This is a constant, and continuous process. The blue screen appears, and disappears so fast I cannot read the error message. I can get it to boot in safe mode. I attempted to restore it to an earlier time, and I tried to restore it to last known settings that worked. Both attempts failed. Frustrated, I completely restored my system. seemed to be working for a few minutes. then it shut off and started the whole process over again. I didnt have to update anything, or reload drivers. It just shut down and starts the process over again.

Over the years I have added a new video card, and sound card, as well as adding more RAM to it. The HD is the stock HD (80gb, 7200 rpm... I think)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

If you can boot into safe mode...

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

Ok, so I completely restored the computer again. Typically I install the drivers and software for my wireless card first. This way I can connect to the internet and use that to install my other drivers, instead of using the provided disks. It always crashes when I install the drivers for the wireless card. So i completely started over, and started installing other hardware first. First was my video card, then my sound card. So far everything is smooth sailing. So I take the chance and install the wireless card drivers, and software. Instant crash!!!

Started all the way over for the 2nd time today. Using the same steps I just mentioned. video card, sound card... wireless card= instant crash.

So I'm guessing it has something to do with the wireless card, or it's software.

Edited by joey0221, 17 August 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...t=1127350#N3065

Try the Realtek LAN drivers under Original Drivers...after uninstalling (via Device Manager) the drivers currently reflected for your networking capability.

Louis

#5 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

Didnt work. This is so frustrating... Would it be easier to buy a new hard drive, and install either xp vista, or 7 on it? Seeing how mine is only 80gb, and I currently have nothing to lose on it, and I could get a new better HD cheaper than the cost of taking it somewhere to have someone fix this for me...

#6 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

just found out that i have both of my desktops are doing the exact same thing.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

If you have two computers...with the same symptoms...that are networked...I'd have to say that your diagnosis of what the problem might be...is wrong and your systems are possbily infected.

They could be crashing when you attempt to install/use the LAN...because it's designed behavior.

I don't know but the problems of this system...don't seem as simple to me as they appear to you.

I think I'd run it by our Am I Infected forum, if I were you...I don't believe in that much coincidence in life.

Louis

#8 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Well, I had a feeling that I just couldn't shake. Something about that wireless card, just didn't sit right. "Why would that be the only thing to make it crash every time?" So I listened to that gut feeling, and went to compusa and bought a $14 wireless card. Got home and replaced the non-working one, and installed the drivers. Crashing problem is now a thing of the past. I don't know what was happening with the previous wireless card to make the computers crash. But with one computer computer working with a new wireless card, I just couldn't pass it up to change the other card too. Went back to compusa and got another card, and installed it. now both computers are working perfectly.

I still cant figure out why the wireless cards were preventing the computers from running normal.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Very strange...but resolution is good :thumbsup:.

Thanks for taking the time to post back...happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

#10 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

I appreciate your help with my problem. Its very frustrating when something isn't working right. Especially when you cant figure out whats going wrong.

I'm happy about the resolution. Again, thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users