Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recommandable AV programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scherrypoppa

scherrypoppa

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hey!

I'm new here. After reading through many threads for the last 2 days i noticed that a lot of people come here even though they had McAffee or Norton installed.

I had to reformat 2 of our 3 three computers within the last 6 months because of viruses or trojans even though they had the above mentioned programs in addition to others installed. At this point 2 of them are infected again.

:thumbsup:
So what do you guys think might be some better programs to prevent all this drama in the future?

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Check out my sig, I use malwarebytes and avast5 I also use super anti spyware, which can be downloaded here: http://www.superantispyware.com/ :thumbsup: Also many use microsoft security essentials instead of avast. Don't use avast and microsoft security essentials at the same time. :flowers:

Edited by computerxpds, 16 August 2010 - 03:11 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

Even with the best av you can get infected. This is mostly due to the user , safe browsing is the most important part of staying free form viruses. Smart browsing is essential to keeping safe things like not opening everything in emails, updating all your software, not pirating software/music etc since most of these contain viruses. At the end of the day only you can keep yourself safe.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hi,
Indeed you're right. But I can't say that music files are a very common infection vector. I'd recommend using wither NOD32, Eset Smart Security, or Kaspersky Antivirus or a greater variant in that product line. i

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 scherrypoppa

scherrypoppa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

hey guys, thanks for the advice.

i had used many different programs before i discovered this place. SAS was one of the few programs that actually identified/removed a trojan unlike the other programs which only let me know "theres something wrong - good luck getting rid off it" or did not detect anything at all.

I'm also planning on keeping MBAM and HJT.

My main desktop is being used for work so it won't be allowed for p2p programs anymore.

I can't wait for my pc to be finally virus free! :D

-scherrypoppa

#6 APForever

APForever

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

I personally use Spyware Doctor with Anti-virus and it works wonders. I have it setup for automatic updates and a schedule scan, renewed it Christmas last year and have opened it less than ten times since to check status. It costs around 50$ for the year, but is hassle free and works great. The thing is with freeware AV is "free" ,they can stop pushing out signature updates whenever if they wanted to. (most likely won't happen) Check out Spyware Doctor AV here!

Edited by APForever, 17 August 2010 - 08:54 AM.

#7 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

When you say "Better Programs" do you mean free,or programs you must pay for?
If you're willing to pay,there a many good Security Suites out there. I think this is the best way to go.
As for free there are several good firewalls- Comodo,Online Armor,Outpost.
Several good free anti-viruses,I find Avira very good.
As for free anti-spyware,personally I don't think much of any of them,I opt to pay for Spyware doctor which actully works as well as some good anti-viruses too.
Also,I keep Norman Malware Cleaner in my toolbox,if you think you've got a bad infection,that your anti-malware can't seem to find or remove,this tool has almost always never let me down,very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users