Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound problems midi and others

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ScottZ

ScottZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

I have no playback device for midi and cannot figure out how to get it so I have one. I have updated drivers tired installing new hardware sometimes I have no playback devices listed under control panel>sounds and audio devices ,but still have sound, but restarting makes the default audio device come back. Any ideas how to fix this I'm running windows XP and realtek audio AC97 soundcard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please post the make and model number of your computer.

Do you have any idea who your sound card is made by and if its an add-on card what is the model number?

Have you checked your BIOS setup utility for your sound card if it is integrated into the motherboard?

You may get results if you enter your BIOS setup utility and choose the option to load system defaults, there is usually an F key short-cut to perform this in the BIOS, sometimes its the F5 key.

Your BIOS keyboard map usually tells you which keys to press to load system defaults.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ScottZ

ScottZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

it's kinda custom, but motherboard is AMD sempron 2800+ 1.61 GHZ 512 MB RAM and I don 't know how to get to bios is that when you start cthe computer cause F5 doesn't do anything when computer is in windows. I assume the soundcard is built in IDK for sure though and it's called Realtek AC97.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

What you have listed as the motherboard is your CPU. The Realtek AC97 is a integrated audio chip on the motherboard.

Without knowing the make of the motherboard, about all I can do is provide you with a link to a site which has most manufacturer BIOS listed along with the key to open it.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Edited by dc3, 20 August 2010 - 09:08 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

If your sound card is Realtek then here is the official web site link for drivers.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Download, install, and run Belarc Advisor.

It will scan your system and create a profile of your system. When the report opens, look for Main Circuit Board
which will tell you what motherboard you have.

Post the info for those helping you. This will be very helpful to them.

#7 ScottZ

ScottZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

ok sorry for not responding sooner got disconnected/switched internet providers for a couple months with no internet. Midi still doesn't work reinstalling/installing ac97 driver does not work the drivers work just not the midi
Main Circuit Board
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. K8M800-8237
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F5 01/12/2005
Multimedia
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller
Standard Game Port
USB Internet Phone by TigerJet

#8 ScottZ

ScottZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members