Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost File Association

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

OK, why would a file association go away? I don't mean a file opens with another (different) program... I mean the association keeps going away. We associate the .TIF extension with MS Picture and Fax Viewer to work with IE7 to view scanned files. We can't change the Extension/Association/Browser cuz they all work with our Custom written RMS (Records Management System) software. And, of course, all the other 500+/- users are working just fine. It happens to random users and sometimes to the same user every few weeks or so. No perceived pattern or coincidental timing with MS or other updates.

BTW - we're running WinXPsp3 - IE6,7&8 on a mix of Gateway/IBM/HP desktops and IBM/Itronix laptops. Any other info needed?
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

<<We associate the .TIF extension with MS Picture and Fax Viewer to work with IE7 to view scanned files.>>

I guess that I don't understand what you are saying.

The file extension is one thing...the program that opens it can be changed any time. Regardless of where that file is, that program will open it if the file association is set properly.

IE 7 (or any version of a browser) has nothing to do that relationship. Pictures opened in IE still use the default program. Pictures that are scanned still use the default to open the file. The default can be changed anytime by going to Explorer view and doing the Tools/Folder Options drill.

On my system, I have both .tif and .tiff file extensions...same thing, just as .jpg and .jpeg are. My default for the .tiff ending is currently Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, while the default for .tif is my graphics editor.

In short...what program is set to open .tif and .tiff files on your systems?

Louis

#3 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

We use IE to access WebRMS. In WebRMS there are scanned images in .tif format. Win Picture and Fax viewer is associated with .tif files... usually! Sometimes the association just goes away. It's NOT changed to another program I actually have to add the .tif extension to the File Types tab.
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

You mean that the .tif file extension just disappears from your system?

If that's the case, then that should be fixable by merely right-clicking on a .tif file and resetting the association.

But...take a look at this tool, http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm.

Your Situation?

Louis

#5 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

The second link looks exactly like my issue. I gave it a go with two of my Problem Children and will monitor for a few weeks to see if the prob comes back.

I'm not sure what the imageditor does that manual association does not but at this point I'm willing to try anything. Thanx!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

Easily done, let us know how it works out :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users