Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange CD playback issue

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 manfred99

manfred99

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

My system is a Dell Dimension XPS Gen3.
Pentium 4 3.6Ghz
Windows XP Professional
4GB RAM installed
2 - WD hard drives
3 - optical drives -Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S, TSST (Samsung) CDDVDW SH-S203B and TSST CDDVDW SH-S203N.

When I play a CD in any of the optical drives, the CD occasionally briefly slows down - just enough to notice a change in pitch. In happens in all 3 drives. Firmware and drivers are up-to-date on all of them. It does not happen when playing a DVD in either of the 2 DVD drives, and burning DVDs works OK. I use Windows Media Player 11 when listening to CDs. When I play an MP3 file from the hard drive using WMP, they play fine. I've tested to see if this happens when running other programs at the same time, but that doesn't seem to affect the playback. It happens even if I'm only running WMP. I get no errors reported or see nothing unusual, other than the speed slowdown.

What could be causing this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I need to ask if you're only noticing this with one particular CD or if this slow down happens with any music CD you try playing.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 manfred99

manfred99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

This happens with any music CD.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

I would take your drives are IDE, if I am wrong, please forgive my error, as I have not looked up your drives at this point.

But if they are IDE drives, how many conductors (wires) are in your IDE ribbon cables?

Are they the 40 conductor or 80 conductor cables?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 August 2010 - 05:48 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 manfred99

manfred99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

The CD drive is an IDE with a 40-pin connector. Both of the DVD drives are SATA.

(FYI - the floppy drive is disconnected and does not "exist")

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Okay I realize your using SATA now, but you should replace that one 40 conductor IDE cable to an 80 conductor cable, those prevent possible cross-talk that the 40 conductor cables do not prevent.

When you are using Windows Media Player, do you allow visualizations to display with-in the player as the CD is playing, or allowing any Internet media to display during the play-back process, such as artist/album information on the CD you are playing?

Bruce.

#7 manfred99

manfred99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

I usually use WMPCDText for disc info and G-Force visualization. However, I have tried disabling both of these and the problem remained.
I'll try switching the IDE cable as soon as I can.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

Okay let us know how the IDE drive performs once you have the 80 conductor wire in place of the 40 conductor one.

Bruce.

#9 manfred99

manfred99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

Just an update - finally found the cable I needed. No store locally had anything in stock. Ordered from Amazon and I should have by mid-week. No need to reply Bruce. I just wanted to give you an update. I'll let you know how things go once I put the new cable in.

Thanks again.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

I know, you said no need to reply, but just wanted you to know I am keeping up to date with your progress. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#11 manfred99

manfred99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

OK - I received and installed the new cable for the IDE drive. I replaced the old ribbon cable with a round cable 80 conductor cable. It's also a single unit cable, whereas the old ribbon cable was for 2 drives (I had nothing on the 2nd connector). Unfortunately, the problem still occurs on all 3 optical drives.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:08 PM

As much as I know this is not a good solution, but have you tried using another player to see if this is a windows media player issue?

You could check CNET for an alternative media player to see if the issue still is noticeable.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 September 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

I would suggest disconnecting the older ide optical drive, Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S and giving the inside of the computer a thorough cleaning.

Power might be an issue?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 manfred99

manfred99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

Bruce and Chewy -

Shortly after my last post and your replies I had to "disconnect". Then we moved, so I had to put aside my problem temporarily. Packing and unpacking at a new house is a bleep!

I do have another media player installed on my computer - Media Player Classic. I only had a chance to test it briefly, but the problem still occurred. I will give this a longer test.
The computer has had a thorough cleaning, and I cleaned again when I installed the new cable. I haven't yet tried disconnecting the old Samsung drive; this is the drive that I needed the new cable for.
Now, if I can only find the boxes with my CDs...

I had also thought about power being an issue.

How do I check that out? :thumbsup:

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users