Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Distros Will Not Install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 niteboy82

niteboy82

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Greetings!

For the past two weeks I have been attempting to install one of the Linux distros on my computer. I have gone through Ubuntu 7-10, with alternate cds, Debian, and now OpenSUSE, all to no avail. If I do get a screen after the installation is selected, I get a blinking cursor on a black screen or at most a run through some of the files opening, ending at being stuck on isapnp or there will be a kernel error pid1 comm swapper tainted message.

I thought something must have been completely fried, but I can run PartedMagic and surf the internet via the preloaded Firefox and everything seems to run. The HD has been reformatted, so I have a blank slate and at the beginning of this Windows would not even run the recovery disks which is why I decided it was time to leave MS for Linux.

I have tried the apic=off/nolapic/noapic settings to no avail, and at this point I am unsure what to even do. The linux kernel does load at the beginning, and after just attempting another install I got an EDD message before it went blank again.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for at least taking the time to check this over. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Have you tried using a more up-to-date version of Ubuntu? 7.10 is nearly three years old.

#3 niteboy82

niteboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

Andrew, my apologies, and thanks for the reply. I meant to say from Ubuntu 7 all the way up to the current 10.

The computer is an Acer x1700, 64-bit system. I have tried the 64-bit build as well as the 32-bit. Needless to say, I have about 20 different .iso discs sitting on top of my tower right now that I have attempted using.

#4 I.hate.doze

I.hate.doze

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

Just for the heck of it, have you tried checking your ram with MemTest86?

I've seen Linux do some pretty wierd things when the ram hasn't been up to snuff.

#5 niteboy82

niteboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:14 AM

Just for the heck of it, have you tried checking your ram with MemTest86?

I've seen Linux do some pretty wierd things when the ram hasn't been up to snuff.

When I tested it with the Linux programs, the Memtest would fail. However, I took the memory out, inserted it in another computer that took the same memory and was able to dual boot Ubuntu and Debian. *puzzled*

I'm typing out the error codes in full while looking at my monitor, ahead of time, if it is any help, it ends in child_rip+0xa/0x20 after a kernel panic that isn't syncing.

#6 I.hate.doze

I.hate.doze

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

niteboy - the child_rip is the tail end of the thread. RIP as in Rest In Peace, get it? The answer you need will be in the information leading up to this point.

When you say you tried memtest86, were you booting the system using a dedicated memtest86 boot disk that you downloaded and burned?

Is your system crashing while booting a live cd or install disk?

If it's any help, a sync error prior to a kernel panic usually indicates an init error when trying to mount a root file system.

Edited by I.hate.doze, 17 August 2010 - 04:19 AM.

#7 niteboy82

niteboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:06 AM

RIP, I should have known it was rest in peace. :thumbsup:

I will d/l memtest in the morning and run it on its own. I've been running it off the Ubuntu/Debian/OpenSuSe disk and that's when the memtest was failing.

As far as the live vs install cd. Both options are crashing me. Thanks for the response and I'll get the response back to you on the memtest in the morning. :flowers:

#8 niteboy82

niteboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

Ran Memtest86, everything came out kosher. Still getting freezes every time I try to install.

As I'm indifferent to the two, is OpenSuSe or Ubuntu a preferable choice as far as simplicity to get installed? I'm trying to mainly run OpenSuse since it seems I get a tad further, but am open to suggestions. :thumbsup:

#9 niteboy82

niteboy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

the killer seems to be a fatal exception in the interrupt. pid:1 comm: init tainted g d 2.6.31.5-0.1-default #1

ending in 0x7f928e57b938 before a freeze

this is with nothing but "nosplash" so I can read the errors.

#10 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

I'm thinking the CD drive is faulty; try swapping it out.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

I had this happen on a Sony VIAO Machine, and it turned out to be a proprietary motherboard. It was only designed to run Windows XP and no other OS would install on it.

#12 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

OP,
how much ram do you have (i don't see any mention)?

i had similar problems with several different computers. after adding ram, installing goes so much better.

i find that lighter, smaller os's are a better idea if you have less ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users