Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus and search engine hijack problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 np0804

np0804

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Over the weekend a virus appeared on my computer -- it disabled my anti-virus and started running pop-up notices for fake programs like Wireshark and Anti-virus Suite. I ran some anti-malware programs as suggested in forums about these viruses and these problems seemed to go away after I then reinstalled an anti-virus program. However now I have a problem where my search engine gets diverted to random sites. It doesn't cause problems for a lot of searches, but when I search and click on topics for sites like this one (Bleepingcomputer.com) it diverts me to sites advertising fake looking anti-virus products.

I have run a couple of scans that have found some problems and deleted them, but this problem with the search engine is remaining and some sites are loading slowly or not at all. This is beyond my modest level of expertise in computers, so I would welcome some assistance from a knowledgeable source.

Please let me know how to proceed and if I have put this in the wrong place I hope someone will let me know.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 16 August 2010 - 11:33 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted and prep. guide not followed. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users