Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Running Slow Host Services Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Captainzoo

Captainzoo

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hi, I hope you can help. I have been noticing suspicious activity on my computer again. I'm using Pareto Logics AntiVirus Plus but it seems to be not working properly. I'm running a dual boot with Vista x86 and W7 x64. the infection only appears to affect the Vista OS. Here are the symptoms:

Random popups in IE. Seem to always be benign websites like news channels or survey sites, and the windows are easily closed. A minor annoyance.

Very slow login to user desktop from Windows welcome screen. Desktop icons take forever to appear and services/processes are very slow to start. Sometimes I experience a different desktop with only part of my icons showing and my user folders double up (2xDocuments, 2x Downloads etc.). Some services set to automatically start fail to start at all, and must be manually started. The most critical of these is the DHCP Client service that consistantly fails, and I routinely have to go and manually start it through Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services. Windows explorer stops working and my Windows Vista theme defaults back to a classic theme.

Cannot get Windows Updates or access the Windows Update web site, neither through the links on my computer nor directly through IE and Microsoft's web pages. As mentioned my Anti Virus software is not working properly. It cannot download updates but will still do a scan. I have Malwarebytes installed and it has detected infections recently but problems persist.

Can you help, please? Let me know if you would like the Malwarebytes log etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captainzoo

Captainzoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

If you know that this has been answered already on another topic would you please refer me to it as I would like to get to the bottom of this problem.

Thanks.

#3 Captainzoo

Captainzoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

While waiting for a response I have undertaken several scans using Malywarebytes, Adawre, Super Antispyware and Backlight. So far Malwarebytes has detected and removed 240 threats, Adawre has detected and removed 1 threat, Super Antispyware has detected and removed 21 threats and Backlight did not find anything.

Unfortunately with all these threats being eliminated I cannot connect to the internet to update Windows or my anti virus software.

Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users