Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu-Ray in a Laptop worth it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stevie-O

Stevie-O

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new laptop and was wondering if anyone has one with a Blu-Ray player in it. I'd like hook it up to my HD TV for use.

Do they work well, and is the picture just as good as a regular Blu-Ray player (provided the proper cables are used)?

I guess in the end, if I buy a laptop with one it in, then I don't have to buy a Blu-Ray separately.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

It would probably be cheaper to buy a laptop and standalone blu-ray player. Don't bother with it unless you travel a lot.
You must use HDMI or DVI to get 1080p but the picture quality should be just as good.

EDIT:
MSI has a few decently-priced notebooks with blu-ray but I can't speak for their quality. I have never seen or used a MSI notebook.

Edited by RainbowSix, 16 August 2010 - 12:34 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

You can get a decent BluRay player for $150. That's a lot cheaper than a laptop and it's designed to play Blu-Ray discs and be connected to a home theater.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Will the ability to read BluRay become important in the future because BluRay becomes a standard media format?

Thanks

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

CD-ROM drives were first released in the 80s and weren't replaced by DVD-ROM drives until late this decade. I predict blu-ray discs won't be the standard format until at least 2015-2020. I still have yet to see a game which requires two DVD discs.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Will the ability to read BluRay become important in the future because BluRay becomes a standard media format?

Thanks

Blu-Ray won't become a standard for 10-20 years if that. The drives are still expensive. The media is expensive. No software (other than PS3 games) needs that much for an installation disc.

#7 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

I just noticed that BluRay discs have a hug data capacity of 25Gb or so. DVD discs are only around 5 Gb. Makes me think BluRay discs will used for this purpose alone.

I am guessing that upgrading a laptop to BluRay may not be easy and be mother board dependent. Am I correct here?

Thanks

#8 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Or Blu Ray could be skipped over.. just mybe

Apple skipping Blu Ray

MS skipping Blu Ray

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

^^^^Apple (Mac OS X) doesn't support Blu-Ray natively. Neither does Microsoft, who refuses to support it for the Xbox 360 when HD-DVD failed. Not sure if Apple or Microsoft dictate the home theater market either. Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic and the MPAA do that. And they are all heavily supporting Blu-Ray.

I just noticed that BluRay discs have a hug data capacity of 25Gb or so. DVD discs are only around 5 Gb. Makes me think BluRay discs will used for this purpose alone.

I am guessing that upgrading a laptop to BluRay may not be easy and be mother board dependent. Am I correct here?

25GB for single layer. 50GB for dual layer. DVD is 4.37GB for single layer and about 7.9GB for dual layer.

No, upgrading is not motherboard dependent. BD-ROM drives are SATA. So as long as you have that then you are fine. There are also USB 2.0 external BD-ROM drives. You can plug them into anything. You just need the software (included with most BD-ROM purchases) and a powerful computer to play them.

Thanks

No. Windows 7 is on a single layer DVD. There's also dual layer DVD tha tsupports 7.9GB of compressed data. It will be a while before apps start needing more than that. Blu-Ray is still taking off as well. Maybe in 5 years it will be as standard as DVD is now.

Edited by JonM33, 27 September 2010 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users