Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Page not displaying properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DBPbear

DBPbear

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

A few days ago I went to view a webpage that I had posted to my website. Here's what it looks like

Scores after� 8 rounds� Average:�� 84.0����� Section� A� North-South

Pair��� Pct�� Score����� Section Rank����� MPs����

������������������������ A���� B���� C�

� 3�� 66.07� 111.00� C�� 1���� 1�� ��1��� 1.50(A)� Christopher - Jeff

� 5�� 61.31� 103.00� C�� 2���� 2���� 2��� 1.05(A)� Jeanette - Mike

� 6�� 57.44�� 96.50� A�� 3��������������� 0.75(A)� Joann - Vicki

� 2�� 52.08�� 87.50� C�� 4��������������� 0.53(A)� Louis - Ron

There are white question marks on a black diamond background where there should be spaces. If I use a different computer, the page renders correctly -- so the problem is with my personal computer. The page that I'm trying to view was created using Microsoft Word and saved as an html file. My operating system is Windows 7 and I use Firefox as my browser. I have tried viewing the webpage using Internet Explorer and get the same results. All the other websites I go to display correctly -- and everything else on this particular website displays correctly -- except the link to this page.

I've cleared the cache, done virus and malware checks and even tried doing a system restore all the way back to July 25 -- before the problem first occurred. I talked to the guy who maintains the website and he told me that he switched to a different server at the beginning of the month. When he first looked at the page, he saw strange characters too, and made some changes involving the server, so the text would render correctly. As I said, it looks fine on my other computer. Can anyone tell me what's causing the problem on this computer and how I can fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

All I can say is, that MS Word is not really designed for creating web pages.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 DBPbear

DBPbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

I've been using MSWord to create a very simple, text only, web page for my website for several years -- and it does render correctly on other computers, but not the one that I use 95% of the time. Something has to have changed on this computer, but I'm not sure what to look for: changed startups, new version of Firefox ???

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

new version of Firefox ???

Possible. Did you try different browser(s)?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users