Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very long boot times

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 overdose14

overdose14

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

Config:
Intel Q8200 4 Cores @ 2.34ghz
4 GB DDR II Ram
P5QLEM Mobo
Ati 4870 1 GB
Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate

Problem:
Lately I am experiencing very slow boot on my computer. It takes approximately a minute to boot till my desktop screen, but things go haywire at this moment. Whatever I do, it doesn't work. I've to wait for another two minutes for everything to settle down before I can use my computer. It's getting pretty annoying now. Help!

Programs at startup according to msconfig

Logitech Keyboard Drivers
Microsoft Mouse Drivers
ATI Catalyst
Avast
Realtek HD Sound Drivers

EDIT: Removed HJT log, not allowed in Win 7 forum and issue does not appear to be malware related ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2010 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

Hi overdose14, Did you try right clicking on your action center flag (lower right corner on your desktop in the taskbar ) and select troubleshoot a problem,then under System and Security select check for performance issues, in the dialogue window select next.Windows will check for issues and advise action to be taken ,I think Avast will connect to its update server to check for updates that might slow your your system down. How is your system after it s up and running ?

#3 overdose14

overdose14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

Hi sleepwalker.

I tried action center, but it doesn't seem to work properly.
After my computer is up and running, I don't face any kind of slowness at all, it's all smooth and fast. It just won't open any software while it's just started for 1-2 minutes.

Thanks

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

What part doesn't seem to work ? after you click next and it checks for issues, select " Start System Configuration" then you can select what programs you want to run at start up uncheck the ones you don't need they can be started when you need them eg: Windows messenger,Lightscribe,Adobe reader ect. Most program are added to your startup list by default after you uncheck the programs you don't need select Apply and OK. Or if not sure instead of selecting " Start System Configuration" just select next and Windows will make some changes on its own,but your best bet is to figure out which programs you don't need you can also checkout the startup list tab at the top of the page on Bleepingcomputer and do some research .

#5 overdose14

overdose14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

When I press next, it just shows
"Troubleshooting can't find a problem"
"Explore additional options"
"Close troubleshooter"

If I press on Explore additional options, it leads me to nowhere.

#6 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

Is this what your seeingPosted Image

Edited by sleepwalker, 16 August 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#7 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

• After you click next you should see this window
  • Posted Image
  • then click on Start System Configuration and the System Configuration window will open
  • Posted Image
  • Then you can clear the startup programs that you don't need by clicking the box next to the program and you can use the startup data base search in BleepingComputer to help you decide which programs you don't need. Hope this helps you better than my previous posts, PS>looking at your startup programs I don't think that its going to make much differance ,I noticed in your HJT log you had some Apple programs their not known for playing nice with Windows,did you get them recently? A minute or two isn't that long do you remember doing something prior to your mach. slowing down

Edited by sleepwalker, 16 August 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#8 overdose14

overdose14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

I don't see that window, maybe because I've already fine tuned the items at the start up through msconfig.

I already told you about this.
Posted Image

Edit:

I noticed in your HJT log you had some Apple programs their not known for playing nice with Windows,did you get them recently? A minute or two isn't that long do you remember doing something prior to your mach. slowing down

I had installed iTunes the day i installed Windows 7. My system started signs of slowing down after a few windows updates. Happens to me all the time, whenever I update, my system boot slows down.

Edited by overdose14, 16 August 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Ok that's what I thought after Hamluis edited your HJT log, you can try viewing your reliability monitor by typing relia into the start menu search and then selecting View Reliability History.It will show you a graph of any problems Windows has had in the last month or so, a 10 is perfect and a 1 is terrible see if anything sticks out. If it only happens after a update that's normal if it was 5 to 10 minutes then I'd be worried you can also type performance info into the start menu and hit enter then select advanced tools it will show you a list of all available performance-related tools.If you generate a System Health Report,the result is quite hard to read.You may find it easier to read the HTML report by exporting it. Click file than save as, name it and save than you can view it in your browser.

Edited by sleepwalker, 16 August 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#10 overdose14

overdose14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Reliability shows a 10

How do I upload the System health report?
I don't see any attachment button.

I uploaded it on rapidshare though. Here it is.
http://rapidshare.com/files/413413599/Report.html

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

ATI Catalyst doesn't need to run at startup, in fact it does slow down the process. You can start it when/if needed ... see this guide http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_4.html

Edited by Jacee, 17 August 2010 - 05:22 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 overdose14

overdose14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

I stopped it. What next?

#13 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

Try disabling Avast and restarting your system to see if that makes any difference,I don't use Avast anymore I use Windows Security Essentials and it doesn't run a update at boot up. Its strange that Windows isn't complaining about slow startups because mine was when I didn't think it was slow,telling me I could improve its performance by shuting off Windows Aero and removing some programs from the startup list. Right now it takes about 1 minute to get to the welcome screen after I enter my password about 30 seconds to have Firefox opened in Sandboxie from being shut off. I might add I never shut my system down normally I let Windows go into Energy saving mode after 30 minutes of standby.Only takes a couple of seconds to resume full operation. The last few Windows updates have been unusually large with a lot of security fixes so if it only happens after that It completely normal the last update was about the longest I've seen lately,my XP/pro Pentium/4 seemed to take forever to download install reboot and then reconfigure, my Windows7/pro I7 920 was alittle bit faster but not by that much. Have you run any on demand scanners at all, SuperantiSpyware or Malwarebytes to name a few although it doesn't sound like you have spyware malware problem.Just out of curiousity try going to the Conflicker Eye Chart page Conflicker infection test

#14 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

Take a look at Black Viper's service configuration for Windows 7 http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users