Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CheckNerd

CheckNerd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

hey guys

I've a problem. My computer wouldn't start after i shut down my Windows XP(home edition) without following the proper procedure. Now, when i restart my computer it shows the windows XP screen but then starts the check disk program. The computer continues to check my hard drive and then restarts but to no avail i.e the check disk process starts again but the Windows doesn't load.

Ok so heres another problem. I've Acer Recovery CDs in case of system failure but my CD ROM has stopped functioning( not because of system failure but cos i havent used it in a very long time.

Btw, i've recovery console installed on my laptop but when i access it, it gives a command prompt C:Windows... i've no idea what to do next

Any help wud be really appreciated

THANKS

Edited by CheckNerd, 16 August 2010 - 07:18 AM.

Nobody is perfect & I'm Nobody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

Perhaps your CD ROM drive needs to be cleaned. You could try a lens cleaning disk to see if that might help. CD ROM drives are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace so that's a possibility as well.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

Go to the Recovery Console...follow the guidance below for running the chkdsk /r command.

As you progress to the Recovery Console you may be asked which partition you would like to boot into. Type the number associated with the partition containing your NTFS partition (usually 1 or 2) and then press Enter to continue

You may be asked for your administrator password. If you have one, type it in and press enter. If you do not have a password to boot your computer into Windows, simply press enter.

Now youshould be at a command prompt (C:\Windows). Typr the following command without the quotes and then press Enter: "chkdsk /r".

The command will begin to execute. The time it needs will depend on the condition of your files/hard drive/file system...and the size of your hard drive.

When the command is done, it will either reboot automatically and try to boot into XP...or it will indicate that it is finished. It should reboot automatically.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users