Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external monitors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bluebabe

bluebabe

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hi everyone,

can anyone tell me please how i can load everything onto my external monitor from my laptop, i have an acer aspire 9413zwsmi and the screen is fast fading out. my external monitor will load windows etc, but then reverts back to the laptop screen for most of the operations.

i contacted acer on thier very expensive help-line and they told me what i had already been doing anyway which was press the Fn F5 keys which i have done a million times. does anyone know what else i can do because soon I wont have a laptop screen to look at.

warm regards
bluebabe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi bluebabe, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If you are asking how you can use an external monitor with your laptop, the answer is by connecting the monitor to the VGA port of the laptop.

Edited by dc3, 16 August 2010 - 09:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bluebabe

bluebabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi dc3,

thanks for the reply however done all that and its working half between each screen regardless of pressing the supposed correct buttons,

any other ideas?

regards bluebabe

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

You could try to disable the onboard laptop video in the BIOS...if things are set up that way on your system. That should force video output to any connected screen/monitor.

Louis

#5 bluebabe

bluebabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:00 AM

Hi Louis

thanks for that however that is a little over my head I have tried reading on line about what you said but cant find any definate precedure, would you be kind enough to explain to me how to try it.

regards bluebabe

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Not sure your BIOS screen will be visible on the external monitor.

System model? Acer what?

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

Louis, it's the output of the graphics card. It shouldn't make any difference if it's the laptop monitor or an external. They are both being generated from the same source with the same output.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Thanks, Dan...you are quite right...brain cells going on vacation again, sorry :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 bluebabe

bluebabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

Hi both,

Thanks for your responses does this mean not looking at the bios of the card? as now i have a 3/4 ruined laptop screen that i can barley see when something loads onto it and am getting desperate to know how to make certain it all defaults to the external screen as i simply wont be able to use my laptop screen soon.

the laptop is an acer aspire 9413ZWSMi and i did contact acer and they told me to keep pressing Fn and F5 keys but to no avail.

regards Bluebabe

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

If that system has dual-display ability...you can try configuring those so that the monitor is the primary, reducing the laptop screen to the secondary display.

I don't do dual-monitors, but that may allow you to eliminate the laptop screen from the equation via manipulation of the dual-monitor settings.

Louis

#11 bluebabe

bluebabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

hi Louis

i have gone into trying to save the external as the primary screen but still no avail ??

regards

bluebabe

#12 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Are you sure your F5 key the one with a picture of a monitor on it?

FN + whatever key has the two monitor symbols on it is how you change, it really isn't much more difficult than doing that as long as you have it connected correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users